Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket ruined 4th

So I have a 5 pound market trimmed prime brisket from HEB.  I'm now in hour 9.  Is that normal?  This is my first one in years and at this point I'm ready to just not try again.  

Grill locked in at 250 the entire time but it's still probing in the high 170s.  The brisket had what I'm thinking was closer to 1/8 inch fat cap if that.  Is that my problem or could it be that my meat thermometer wasn't far enough into the thickest section and I wrapped in butcher paper at the wrong time?  

What a mess.  
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited July 5
    We can probably help you stick the landing here. There is no way a 5lb brisket cooked at 250 still is 170 after 9 hours. You have a thermo problem. Are you using your dome  thermometer to read the 250? If so, stick your digital meat thermo either between the dome and base or through whichever cap you are using and see if it matches your dome thermo 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,089
    You haven’t messed it up yet. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,184
    We can probably help you stick the landing here. There is no way a 5lb brisket cooked at 250 still is 170 after 9 hours. You have a thermo problem. Are you using your dome  thermometer to read the 250? If so, stick your digital meat thermo either between the dome and base or through whichever cap you are using and see if it matches your dome thermo 
    As another option, I remove my thermometer and put my meat thermometer right through that hole, assuming you have a thermoses, thermopop, javelin, or something similar. 

You can also stick an oven thermometer right on the grate.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• clemsontyger97
    clemsontyger97 Posts: 400
    I've been using thermo pop after just pulling the thermometer id been using throughout.  I wrapped in foil and cranked the heat.  Throughout the cook my dome read 250ish and surface level was reading 7-10 degrees hotter.  It's an older redi check so maybe that's my issue not sure.  Never really felt like temps were off until this 

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    As another option, I remove my thermometer and put my meat thermometer right through that hole, assuming you have a thermoses, thermopop, javelin, or something similar. 

You can also stick an oven thermometer right on the grate.
    I have done that as well. Great minds think alike lol 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,616
    Is it still on?  How is it probing?  At 5 lbs......is it a flat, point, or what?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 774
    5 lb brisket is odd. Do you have pictures? 
  • clemsontyger97
    kl8ton said:
    Is it still on?  How is it probing?  At 5 lbs......is it a flat, point, or what?
    I finally pulled it.  It wasn't exactly where I wanted it but it was better at least.  Just going to have it tomorrow night and regroup.  Something was way way wrong.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • clemsontyger97
    Elijah said:
    5 lb brisket is odd. Do you have pictures

It's wrapped in the fridge but this is what I started with.  But agree it's a very small one with deckle removed 

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Elijah
    Only thing I'll add is that I bought a ribeye steak once. I pulled it out of the styrofoam holder and it stayed stiff as a board. It wasn't frozen. I don't know what was wrong with that cow, but it didn't die happy. 
  • clemsontyger97
    Elijah said:
    Only thing I'll add is that I bought a ribeye steak once. I pulled it out of the styrofoam holder and it stayed stiff as a board. It wasn't frozen. I don't know what was wrong with that cow, but it didn't die happy. 

Nice.  I do know if I try another one I'm not wasting money on pre trimmed.  That's probably not the main culprit but that super thin fat cap didn't help.  We'll eat it tomorrow.  Took a cut tonight and while dry, the flavor and bark was there m. Then again after 10 hours for 5 lbs it's almost impossible to not have a good bark I suppose 😅

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 497
    I know others have had success with a flat on the egg but my attempts have always gone this way.  Packer briskets are just more forgiving for whatever reason.  Now if I have a flat, I do it braised in the oven. I have a great recipe :blush:
    Johns Is, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 201
    Elijah said:
    rigor?
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • Elijah
    I have no idea and only experienced it that one time. Came from a good meat department that goes through steaks daily. It was stiff as board and cooking didn't help  :|
  • clemsontyger97
    booksw said:
    I know others have had success with a flat on the egg but my attempts have always gone this way.  Packer briskets are just more forgiving for whatever reason.  Now if I have a flat, I do it braised in the oven. I have a great recipe :blush:
    Yeah this was sold as a trimmed brisket, not flat, but in reality probably closer to a flat.  If I do another one I'm just going whole or not at all.  

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,593
    So, what happened? How did it turn out ... and yes 7 hours, 5 lbs, only 170F ... doesn't sound right at all. Even without foil, it shouldn't have taken that long ... that would be like cooking a beef rib plate ... and those take 6 hours to reach 200F to 205F, unwrapped.

Did you cook fat down, or up?
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • clemsontyger97
    So, what happened? How did it turn out ... and yes 7 hours, 5 lbs, only 170F ... doesn't sound right at all. Even without foil, it shouldn't have taken that long ... that would be like cooking a beef rib plate ... and those take 6 hours to reach 200F to 205F, unwrapped.

Cranked it to 325, finished it but obviously dry as hell.  Chopping it up for lunch today.  Calibrating every thermometer, and never again buying a pre trimmed brisket.  It was fat side up... what little fat there was

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • clemsontyger97
    Well...it wasn't what I wanted but it was better than your average lunch sandwich.  

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • clemsontyger97
    Update: Thermo pop was spot on, surface level probe only off by a degree or so, but my meat probe was measuring 5-6 degrees hotter. Dome temp was off a little 10 degrees hotter) as well. Not as concerned there but calibrated anyway. But that meat probe is no good. Time for a new one.  That wasn't the only issue but it was definitely one of them.  Lesson:  don't trust a pre trimmed brisket again, and get a new meat probe.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 929
    At five pounds I think I'd call that a briskette.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,191

Cranked it to 325, finished it but obviously dry as hell.  Chopping it up for lunch today.  Calibrating every thermometer, and never again buying a pre trimmed brisket.  It was fat side up... what little fat there was
    Is this one of the Kroger pretrimmed briskets?

they just had them on clearance for $2/lbs.. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• clemsontyger97

Is this one of the Kroger pretrimmed briskets?

they just had them on clearance for $2/lbs.. 
    HEB, but probably pretty similar I'd imagine.  Never again 

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone