Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This seems to be a habitual thing…

Options
I’ve had a relatively small pork butt on… 225, indirect, now for approaching 24 hours and the IT is only 170. Here is the graph from my FB 500. I checked the temp with a thermapen and it was dead on. Am I smoking this at too low of a temperature. These long cook times seem to be a normal for me. Suggestions? Thoughts?
THANK YOU!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    Options
    Even at 225F, it shouldn’t take that long. Check the grill temp probe. I bet it’s off. I prefer 275F for pork butts. Saves time and tastes better imo. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,699
    Options
    I normally run 275-300, wherever the egg settles in, when doing pork butts. You can go even higher for the turbo method but 275-300 is what I prefer.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,473
    Options
    24 hours is a long time on a butt. Something ain’t right 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,568
    Options
    What is the weight of the butt as I have always found the smaller butts and briskets run longer per lb than the larger ones.  However, 24 hours is too dang long.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,113
    Options
    Not offering any solutions or explanations to you, only my prior experiences.  The first several years of Egging low and slow, 225' F dome was my goal.  Many butts of various sizes and all finished at 16-20 hours.  Given that, you may not be cooking at 225' dome.
    250ish dome or more is easier and faster to finish line. 
    Whatever method, verify the correct placement and calibration of your electric and mechanical temp measuring devices.  That may be where the troubles are.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 639
    Options
    You very well may be correct. Controlled says 251 and is clipped to the thermometer stem

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I really appreciate it. I was sure the FB500 pit probe was the problem. However I calibrated it this morning. The FB came in at 210. The dome thermometer was reading about 30 degrees low. So I was actually cooking at 225 and it took 28 hours even with me bumping it up to 315 for the last two hours. Definitely cooking at 275 moving forward, but as was suggested, that is way too long, even at 225. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, as always. 

Ronald Reagan

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I really appreciate it. I was sure the FB500 pit probe was the problem. However I calibrated it this morning. The FB came in at 210. The dome thermometer was reading about 30 degrees low. So I was actually cooking at 225 and it took 28 hours even with me bumping it up to 315 for the last two hours. Definitely cooking at 275 moving forward, but as was suggested, that is way too long, even at 225. Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, as always. 

cooking at 225 the internal doesnt even hit 140 degrees in the first 7 to 8 hours, i still cook that way to extend cook times bumping it up in the morning to mid morning to time when lunch or dinner will be. i dont use a controller, i just like to start the cook about 10 at night , spend the morning out on the lake, get back and eat sometime around 2 to 3 in the afternoon. i bump temps up or down early morning depending were the cook is at and walk away.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Dawgtired said:

cooking at 225 the internal doesnt even hit 140 degrees in the first 7 to 8 hours, i still cook that way to extend cook times bumping it up in the morning to mid morning to time when lunch or dinner will be. i dont use a controller, i just like to start the cook about 10 at night , spend the morning out on the lake, get back and eat sometime around 2 to 3 in the afternoon. i bump temps up or down early morning depending were the cook is at and walk away.
    When you say bump it up… to what temperature on average?

Ronald Reagan

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Dawgtired said:

When you say bump it up… to what temperature on average?

i just look at it in the morning before heading out and make a determination of where its at, could bump it up 25, sometimes a 100, sometimes i drop temps. it all depends when it needs to be done. like i said, i control temps manually, and add to that i went years without a temp gage.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,246
    Options
    Do you use a platesetter? If so, make sure a leg is positioned to block the air draft (heat) from the thermometer.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Do you use a platesetter? If so, make sure a leg is positioned to block the air draft (heat) from the thermometer.
    After aaaallllllllll these years, I’ve never heard that before. What’s the rationale behind that?

Ronald Reagan