Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Does Anyone Own An E-Bike?

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,038
I've pondered the idea of getting an E-Bike in the past but never gone down the rabbit hole. My wife just mentioned that MN is going to be offering a rebate 50 to 75% off E-Bikes up to $1,500. (The state rebate is limited to $2 million so it's not guaranteed but it's worth doing some research anyways) 

I looked into the details and since it's state funded they limit the E-Bike to 750W which is kind of a bummer. It would be nice to get something 1000W but it's maybe something that I could always change out down the road. Bikes might be limited depending on the retailers that apply for the program. 

What do I need to know with E-Bikes? The little that I've read is that dual motors and dual disk brakes are the way to go. Any truth to that?

I'd be interested in something somewhat basic in looks. I'm not all that interested in something that looks like a motorcycle and I not exactly sold on fat tire bikes either. I don't see myself getting one that folds or where you can put your leg though the frame. Something that looks like your average mountain bike. 

I'd love to hear any recommendations on what to look for or stay away from. I appreciate the help!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,171
    Options
    Risen a few ebike mountain bikes some years ago.  They were amazing and a ton of fun.  Made a lot of previously inaccessible trails attainable on a bike.  They were heavy and not as much fun down hill, but absolutely made up for it on the uphills.  At the time they were about $5k and kept me out of the market, but they sure were fun.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    First i'm hearing about any rebate, thanks for the heads up! My inlaws have a few that i've ridden and can give feedback on, but don't have specs. I'll update tomorrow. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Sorry I can't give more specifics, but a friend who has one really enjoys it (I assume these are the assist models that you also peddle, if you want) but I do know his battery needed to be replaced and the cost was high enough that he debated whether it was worth doing.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I believe @nolaegghead has one
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,685
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
     I am a terrible source of knowledge on ebikes but here are a couple of random high points do your research. 
     I ride almost exclusively to get around the farm, but if I lived in the city it would be a awesome way to travel, they really are fun to ride, makes bicycling effortless.
     There are different class bicycles but they all mostly max out at 25mph, mine will go 25 but it is a chore to go that fast.  Some offer a motorcycle style throttle and you literally don't have to pedal in order to move, I think these are all propelled by a hub motor that is located in the back tire.  My dad has this style and it is a pretty sweet option, I rode his last summer and there is a delay between cranking the pedals and the hub engaging which I imagine you get used to, but my bicycle has the assist motor located in the crank so there is no delay.  
     A few more random thoughts, some you can remove the battery which is nice if you are on a multi day adventure or anti theft.  My brothers in Alaska have big ole honking electric mountain bikes, and they ride trails that they would first, never mountain bike (because they would not ride a bike), and second never mountain bike if they weren't electric (because of....hills).   If you are riding on trails with no helmet and effortlessly pedaling at 15mph enjoying yourself the traditional bearded white dude in spandex riding a road bike will mildly be annoyed by your existence.
     Finally, if you really want to see them in action, I don't know when the last time you went to Amish country was but they have taken over there. Go to Amish country and see what they are riding, those would probably be the most affordable practical commuter bikes.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    Options
    @alaskanassasin

How do you like it and anything you would change? What's it like riding a bike like that with unassisted with the extra weight of it being an E-Bike and the fat tires? Is it a big difference when comparing it to your average smaller tire mountain bike? I can see how the bigger tires might be nice for gravel roads like you see but I'm not sure if the extra weight of everything would be justified if it sees majority of it's life on sidewalks, bike paths, and an occasional gravel roads. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,216
    Options
    I don’t own one but I hear there is a big difference in models regarding “pedal feel”. Some of the e bikes feel more like peddling a regular bike than others. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @WeberWho again I really only have experience with my bike so factor that in.  If I could change anything I wish it would obtain 25 mph without all the effort, basically I wish it was geared differently but that is probably because it is so flat here. I never use the lower gears but I could see how someone would if they were in hill country.   There is a company that makes a "chip" for my bike but I probably won't mess with it, the Trek guy said that Bosch absolutely stands behind their product so don't mess with it. Also I can't shut the light off on the controller which sucks for night riding, I put a piece of gorilla tape on a flap for that.
     I would not consider my tires "fat tires" I would say they are a little bigger that beach cruiser tires, to pedal on concrete or asphalt without power is not a big deal, but in soft grass you are going to want the assist, these bicycles are pretty heavy.  The larger tires definitely improve the ride though.   I have ridden a regular Fat tire bike around for a bit and it was fun but definitely laborious over standard rubber.
     I am telling you the Amish have gone crazy with these things, nothing flashy, standard tires, I don't remember what brands they were riding but I remember looking them up and they were in the $1,000 range.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I don’t own one but I hear there is a big difference in models regarding “pedal feel”. Some of the e bikes feel more like peddling a regular bike than others. 

There seems to be a lag on the hub powered bicycles where as the crank powered bikes don't have that in my experience.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I don't notice if mine is on or off until I hit the grass, that is how smooth the power assist is.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    Options
    @WeberWho again I really only have experience with my bike so factor that in.  If I could change anything I wish it would obtain 25 mph without all the effort, basically I wish it was geared differently but that is probably because it is so flat here. I never use the lower gears but I could see how someone would if they were in hill country.   There is a company that makes a "chip" for my bike but I probably won't mess with it, the Trek guy said that Bosch absolutely stands behind their product so don't mess with it. Also I can't shut the light off on the controller which sucks for night riding, I put a piece of gorilla tape on a flap for that.
     I would not consider my tires "fat tires" I would say they are a little bigger that beach cruiser tires, to pedal on concrete or asphalt without power is not a big deal, but in soft grass you are going to want the assist, these bicycles are pretty heavy.  The larger tires definitely improve the ride though.   I have ridden a regular Fat tire bike around for a bit and it was fun but definitely laborious over standard rubber.
     I am telling you the Amish have gone crazy with these things, nothing flashy, standard tires, I don't remember what brands they were riding but I remember looking them up and they were in the $1,000 range.

Sorry, I missed your initial post when posting. I appreciate all the feed back!

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    WeberWho said:

Sorry, I missed your initial post when posting. I appreciate all the feed back!
    Absolutely! They are fun, in the summer we hit rails to trails and ride from town to town. My swagman bike rack holds them both no problem.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,147
    Options
    I follow a DTLA food delivery guy who rode a 49cc like mine. Those folks are serious about their transportation. 

Check out any food delivery forum in a big downtown area and see what they’re riding. It’s all about speed, response, reliability, weight, and battery capacity. 

Sales happen CONSTANTLY for e-bikes. Impulse buying will kill the deal. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 377
    edited April 6
    Options
    Mine is a Ride1Up Gravel Roadster, the earlier version, not V2. I like it a great deal. I use it primarily for riding around Boulder CO, which is a hilly place. It needs about 1/3 turn of the pedals before the assist kicks in. Mine has 5 levels plus 0 and that's been entirely adequate.
    It weighs just under 40 pounds so I can lift it, and the 350 watt motor is plenty. I haven't come close to running out of battery yet but if I took it on a trip that would be something to consider, as mine has only the internal battery. Charging from 2 bars takes a couple hours.
    I'm completely satisfied with it, but there's one expensive caveat.... it spoiled me to the point that I bought an electric car.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Did someone say E-Type as in Jaaaaaaaaaaag ?

Ding Dong!

No.  No they didn't.  As you were.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,171
    Options
    I follow a DTLA food delivery guy who rode a 49cc like mine. Those folks are serious about their transportation. 

Check out any food delivery forum in a big downtown area and see what they’re riding. It’s all about speed, response, reliability, weight, and battery capacity. 

Here is one that is on sale, $2600 off!

https://bikes.com/products/instinct-pp-c90-22-23
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,021
    Options

Here is one that is on sale, $2600 off!

https://bikes.com/products/instinct-pp-c90-22-23
    JFC
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Do it!

Got one for taking my kid back and forth to school. Single best purchase I can remember!
    Mountain View, CA