Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Biltong vs Jerky

Options
I have a dehydrator for jerky. Just curious if there is enough difference to justify purchasing a biltong unit…Thanks!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,783
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    I have a dehydrator for jerky. Just curious if there is enough difference to justify purchasing a biltong unit…Thanks!
    You could just run the fan on your dehydrator and on very low heat to emulate a Biltong box 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    edited March 27
    Options
    Agree ^^^. I would also build a redneck hanging setup for 360 air surround instead of laying the biltong on the trays.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    Options
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    I'm going to guess, that curing Biltong is even simpler than jerky.  You need ambient temperature, around 70F, but let's say between 65F and 80F ... 70F preferred. And you need a fan to circulate air. That's it.
    If you're jerky unit can do that, you're good.

Biltong is cured by soaking in brown vinegar overnight ... the hanging and air, is simply to dry it out a bit, to give it a nice flavor.  Takes around 3 to 4 days of air drying and it's done.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,590
    Options
    ^^^^^👍
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    I'm going to guess, that curing Biltong is even simpler than jerky.  You need ambient temperature, around 70F, but let's say between 65F and 80F ... 70F preferred. And you need a fan to circulate air. That's it.
    If you're jerky unit can do that, you're good.

Biltong is cured by soaking in brown vinegar overnight ... the hanging and air, is simply to dry it out a bit, to give it a nice flavor.  Takes around 3 to 4 days of air drying and it's done.

some of the recipes ive seen was to just hang it in an open window.....screens a plus
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    I know guys in South Africa that just hang them in their garage. But I think a running fan is a good idea. For sure it helps speed up the cure.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I just stopped in to say...I love biltong.  I actually get it at my local health food store.  It's something like $8 per bag and I eat it on my way home from the gym.  Dang it's good. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI