Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Day 2023...

Options
Morning All:

This year it is just the much better half & I, so we went with only a turkey breast however we still had basically the same sides & pies...Kathy did the pies first, with a mixed fruit pie (cherries, blueberries, pineapple & grapes)...waiting for the top crust...

I didn't do the pies on the Eggs, so here is the fruit pie just out of the oven...

She also did a pumpkin pie plus had enough filling to do a small one too...

Turkey breast on one of the large Eggs...butter with herbs under & on top of the skin...cooking indirect at about 350 with a couple chunks of cherry for added flavor...

The other large Egg has the sweet potato casserole on the bottom level & the sage sausage stuffing on the upper level...

Also put the small Egg into action with the corn souffle' on it...

The corn souffle' is finished...

The turkey is also done & looking nicely tanned...

And a plate full of Thanksgiving deliciousness...

I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving & their cooks went as planned! 

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 118
    Options
    Looking amazing! The corn dish looks good. Do you have a link for the recipe for the corn dish?
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning @havertyj

Here is the recipe...I did a half recipe yesterday (works great in a 9" pan for half).

Corn Souffle’

(Jay & Kathy Taylor

SSN686 & EggHatter)

Ingredients (10 to 12 servings):

0.5 cup of butter

2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix

16 ounces Sour Cream

2 cans creamed corn

4 Eggs

You can cut the recipe in half for 6 to 8 people

You can substitute fat free sour cream for regular

You can add green chilies if desired

Directions:

Preheat oven(Egg) to 350 degrees

Melt the butter in a large casserole dish

Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl until moistened

Pour into the casserole dish

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden brown on top

Bake a little longer for a more cake-like consistency or a little less if you want it more like a pudding (I tend to go longer).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fantastic!

Love the color on the bird. You've got some of my favorites on that plate. Would love to hear details about the fruit pie. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Yep.  Great cook and pics.  Love the color on the bird.  I've never been able to achieve that.  Guess I need to go with the butter like you do.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,452
    Options
    @Foghorn - I find that the cherry smoke wood delivers the mahogany colour (nod) on poultry.  However, I sure wouldn't change it up after that turkey breast you produced yesterday. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap.  It tasted awesome.  I do mesquite as an homage to my father as he loved to smoke mesquite turkey breasts on his Weber kettle.  With that said, this had very little smoke flavor as I lit the BGE a couple of hours before putting the breasts on and the smoke was exceedingly clean.

I might try both butter and cherry wood next time...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ragingirishman2
    Options
    This is a banger of a Thanksgiving menu. All the dishes look amazing, well executed. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great looking photos, a perfect meal!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.