Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: In Praise Of Hospice, Home Hospice In Particular

Options
My FIL and more so a close friend, passed on Tuesday.  I knew Allen for only 16 of his 90 years and cherish all of them.  He had no regrets, nor reason to have any and was at peace knowing his time had come.  Contrary to his statements over the last year or so that he had outlived all his friends, he was surrounded by family (including multiple foster children) and friends over the past several weeks.
We got the diagnosis of a failing heart valve with no viable treatment about three weeks ago.  Al did not wish to die in a hospital or assisted living facility, he wanted to be at home.  To that end we engaged a home hospice provider, which ensured he would maintain comfort and dignity until the time came.  We had the same arrangement for my mom about five years ago.  I can not praise these hospice workers enough, they do beautiful and wonderful work.  That is my main point for this post, if you find yourself in similar circumstances concerning a loved one, give consideration to what hospice has to offer.  Know that if you go the home route there are physical and emotional challenges that must be met, discuss with the provider so you're are prepared.  Fortunately in my cases, family members were available and willing to accept those challenges with us.
Going to miss my buddy, especially on our various trips.  Angie and I took him on most of our travels over the last five years.  So glad we did that.  Pic below of a lady he fell in love with in Ecuador...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    Options
    Our deepest condolences to you, your wife and family. Thanks for sharing your fond memories with Al.
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    Peace be with you and your Family,thank you for sharing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very sorry to hear of the passing of your FIL, and friend, but glad to hear that some of those he left behind are finding some comfort that he was well cared for at the end. 

From a random guy on a bbq forum - much love to you and your family.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    Condolences to family and friends. 
    Thank you also for the home hospice comments.  Remarkable people who fill that role. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Condolences. I am sorry for your loss.

I am glad your hospice experience was positive.  I know I couldn't do what they do.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,037
    Options
    So sorry dbCooper. Prayers for everyone your way. It sounds like he created an awesome foundation of a family and friends. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss, I am thankful you shared.  Sounds like a wonderful man, and I am glad home hospice allowed his last wishes to be met.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    My condolences to you and your family.  It sounds like he lived a great life.

Home hospice care is great indeed.  My first wife went that route at the end of her cancer journey.  My MIL would stay with her during the day while I went to work and I took care of her afterwards.  The hospice folks would come regularly and make sure we were doing well and offer advice.  We got her pain meds through them as well.  I never heard of a morphine suppository before, but they seemed effective.

My wife passed after four weeks.  During those weeks, she was able to be home with our nine year old daughter.  What an incredible gift hospice made possible!  That was one of the very few bright spots in a very dark time for us.
    Thank you for sharing.  I don't have the words, but that must have been a incredibly terrible time.  I am glad there was a tiny bright spot.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I’m so very sorry for your loss and our condolences to your family. My wife was a home hospice nurse for a few years. She loved working with her patients and the families. I agree with your comments in home hospice. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    So very sorry for this loss. What a lucky 16 years, and all of his 90…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• johnmitchell
    Options
    My condolences to the whole family. A loss is never easy🙏
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Wonderful group of people! Blessings to you and all affected!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"