Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reddit BGE brisket insanity

Options
Not sure if anyone lurks on the BBQ/BGE pages on reddit, but just came across this craziness that is happening over there. Cutting the plate setter and adding a stack to the egg to get "Aaron Franklin" brisket results in the egg. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/biggreenegg/comments/16eh2ne/aaron_franklin_bge_modulations/

https://www.reddit.com/r/biggreenegg/comments/16dtsp8/freight_train/

Crazy? Or not?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Don't know what to think yet about either idea, but I wasn't aware of this:  

(for some reason I can select text on Reddit but not "Copy" it, so I took a screenshot and tried to highlight)

First I've heard of this book, anyone here have it?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    Someone needs to introduce this guy to an offset or a gravity feed smoker....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    And as mentioned above, it is addressed by Aaron in his latest book, complete with pics. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited September 2023
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Someone needs to introduce this guy to an offset or a gravity feed smoker....
    Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on, if he's tending to his egg as frequently as an offset needs to be fed.

Edit: read the threads on Reddit. I felt movement after seeing the thin blue smoke.

But, not sure what adding that stack really does. Unless he's controlling temp by limiting how much lump or wood is in the egg. If he's burning wood in the egg, he may be in for some tears later. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    And, has the "OTP chili" thing finally run out of oxygen in those groups?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    no
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    caliking said:
    What's so special about chili cooked on a Weber One Touch Platinum?
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Haven’t seen the new book but having done a wood only brisket in a Kamado before getting my offset it’s not the same - https://youtu.be/aO1lYGAUqFs?si=wazthOrQTBq4EllY

A Kamado can’t take wood with moisture content as high as an offset fire so in order to get clean combustion you are pre heating very small wood chunks and opening and closing the dome more like every 20min. I get an hour per fire on my offset

imo all this does is add the inconvenience of an offset without the benefits … even though the smoke on my test was pretty good at the time 
  • caliking
    Options
    ^^^ This. What I meant about the tears following an all wood cook was that if you burn a stack of it in a kamado, and want it to burn cleanly (like an offset), it can get effin' hot. Too hot to do a brisket, and hot enough to break the ceramic.

I loaded up my drum tandoor with dry wood once, and broke it. The refractory cement holding the bricks in place couldn't take it. 

• caliking
    Options
    danhoo said:
    caliking said:
    Over The Top (or Pot) chili is done by smoking the wad of meat set on a rack, over a pot holding the other stuff. The liquid in the pot catches the drippings from the meat, and some smoke.

Its tasty, and the FB/reddit groups have embraced it hard. As in, there's a chili cook every week, if not every couple of days. 

• danhoo
    Options
    caliking said:
    danhoo said:
    caliking said:
    Over The Top (or Pot) chili is done by smoking the wad of meat set on a rack, over a pot holding the other stuff. The liquid in the pot catches the drippings from the meat, and some smoke.

Its tasty, and the FB/reddit groups have embraced it hard. As in, there's a chili cook every week, if not every couple of days. 
    apologies, my sarcasm around "OTP" didn't come across as sarcasm very well.

OTP is a model of a weber kettle: eg the  "One Touch Platinum" 

But now I'm curious... How do the beans stay on the rack for over the the top chili?

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • danhoo
    Options
    caliking said:

But, what do you mean by mentioning beans and chili in the same sentence?
    I can't recall who, but I thought a gent from Texas said chili always has beans in it.

Maybe he was referring to vegan chili.

( now I'm going to run and hide )
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    IIRC he did something similar with a BGE/KJ too?

https://youtu.be/taiJty9JoeA
    canuckland
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    IIRC he did something similar with a BGE/KJ too?

https://youtu.be/taiJty9JoeA
    Yes, i did a wood fired one a few years back - https://youtu.be/aO1lYGAUqFs

TLDR, you get the offset experience... or at least the worst bits with very frequent fire interactions lol but it did work better than i thought.

Which book is it that has this new chapter from Franklin?
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I am probably the only one on here that likes the BGE brisket better than with an offset.  After I got my XL, I gave my KLOS offset to my son-in-law.  I now cook my brisket at 275 until I wrap and then put in oven until done. Then let it sit in oven till it cools off.  I use Kingsford blue for the charcoal and use a modified Travis method keeping the meat above the liquid while in BGE. After trying several brands of lump for brisket, I settled on Kingsford briquets and ANGUS choice meat.   Brisket is always juicy and has good but not too much smoke.  When wrapping in al foil for oven I put a small hole in the foil plus insert a thermometer probe which also makes a hole.  Offset makes it too smokey for our taste.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Which book is it that this is in?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Which book is it that this is in?
    In Aaron Franklins latest cookbook " Franklin Smoke: Wood. Fire. Food" at page 195 he discusses doing brisket on a BGE.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk