Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Flame Boss 500 (controller) Storage/Rain Proof Solution

Options
Greetings friends!

one thing I know about my flame boss 500 is the pit probe WILL fail..…. 

.. but! ANOTHER thing I know, is it’s sensitive to moisture. You can put a plastic bag over it, you can hide it underneath the table, it WILL get moisture in it if it rains. 

For my more expensive toys, and this’ll work for a few applications around my BGE, I like a little extra protection and organization. Amazon has these waterproof electrical cable junction boxes pretty cheap ($25-$30) with next day shipping in five different colors. And! They just happen to be the exact interior dimensions needed to move the original contents of the FB500 box right over. 

The next step is to be able to use that plastic insert with cabling plugged in, but I might just pull it and not worry about it to keep it clean. 
Maybe right angle cabling..

Anyway - I’ll update again if it goes completely haywire. I thought you’d think it was a solution for my problem. I continue to search for a similar style box that enjoys what mine is missing: a carry handle, stackable, and a transparent top so I can see the display. 

8-D
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,781
    Options
    Great Idea @MaskedMarvel I use a 6pack cooler , I keep spare fans power supplies and probes

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,147
    Options
    And success! Current cook is waterproof, and the cables can be routed through the ports without much bending, while in the original plastic form. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nifty solution. You could cut the top and put in a clear window type of thing. 

I made this box for my FB200 a few years ago, out of a plastic shoe box, and some plumbing parts. Works well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    I just use an inverted Pyrex 9x9 cake pan.  Can see through it, and heavy enough the wind won't blow it away.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I just use an inverted Pyrex 9x9 cake pan.  Can see through it, and heavy enough the wind won't blow it away.
    caliking said:

I made this box for my FB200 a few years ago, out of a plastic shoe box, and some plumbing parts. Works well. 

I was sealing the controller in a zip bag - STILL had moisture passing into the unit (liquid in the display). That’s why my (hopefully) sealed system was where I was leaning. 

Love the window ideas. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    MaskedMarvel said:
    caliking said:

I was sealing the controller in a zip bag - STILL had moisture passing into the unit (liquid in the display). That’s why my (hopefully) sealed system was where I was leaning. 

Love the window ideas. 
    Unless you are evacuating all the moisture before you seal the bag, you are sealing the moisture in as well.....then the sun hits it and boom.  Same problem with sealing charcoal in totes or plastic bags.  When you're NOT using the FB, I would seal it in a bag with desiccant or rice, and see if you can draw that moisture out of the screen.  
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    MaskedMarvel said:
    caliking said:

Love the window ideas. 
    Unless you are evacuating all the moisture before you seal the bag, you are sealing the moisture in as well.....then the sun hits it and boom.  Same problem with sealing charcoal in totes or plastic bags.  When you're NOT using the FB, I would seal it in a bag with desiccant or rice, and see if you can draw that moisture out of the screen.  
    Yessir! That ended up being my plan. :)

I actually have TONS of desiccant packs for doing seed storage from my garden in jars. I’ll be throwing one of those in the box each time..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The box has a lid, so no rain gets in. The holes for passing the wires through let it all breathe, so haven’t had any issues with condensation either. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Perfectly fit. No need to unplug. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Very unique!