Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I haven't rubbed any Butt in a while.....

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I did a little freezer diving Thursday and discovered a nice boneless butt that was stashed in the back. It's been a while since we had pulled pork and I got the nod from Bride of Teefus.

I thawed in a salt and brown sugar brine to offset any freezer burn (it had been in there 11 months) and this morning coated it well with mustard and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. It went on the BGE shortly after 7:00AM Eastern with a couple cue ball sized chunks of apple wood. I'll probably have to sneak the temp up near 300° to have it ready for dinner but in my experience a butt will do just fine a little hotter.

More to follow........
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• bradleya123
    Options
    I did that yesterday...god I love me some butt!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Teefus
    Options
    First Spritz (mix of pineapple juice and cider vinegar with a pinch of salt) after four hours at 295° dome temp. It smells great.

• Teefus
    Options
    Seven hours in and a third spritz. Internal is up to about 175. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,454
    Options
    That is developing some sweet bark right there.  Go baby, go!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Travelin_Matt34
    Options
    Hi all - sorry to hijack a bit here but I'm also prepping a butt for the egg tomorrow and a couple thoughts came up. Just trying to get a consensus but:

1) If you pre-salt the day before (I do)....do you apply the salt to the fat cap too or just the meat side? I've read that salt doesn't really penetrate a fat cap 

2) Do you smoke cap up or down? 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Teefus said:
    And, we’re eating. Yum!

Sweet outcome right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Hi all - sorry to hijack a bit here but I'm also prepping a butt for the egg tomorrow and a couple thoughts came up. Just trying to get a consensus but:

1) If you pre-salt the day before (I do)....do you apply the salt to the fat cap too or just the meat side? I've read that salt doesn't really penetrate a fat cap 

Let me preface this with the fact that it is Saturday and I am planning on a LEO ride this PM.  
    1)That said, I don't pre-salt (many here wet brine) but I know that unless you score the fat the salt is not gonna get you anything unless you are talking extended periods of time.
    2) I run cap down as that way if anything sticks to the grate it is the fat that I then peel off and eat once the butt is removed.
    All above FWIW-

• Travelin_Matt34
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Let me preface this with the fact that it is Saturday and I am planning on a LEO ride this PM.  
    1)That said, I don't pre-salt (many here wet brine) but I know that unless you score the fat the salt is not gonna get you anything unless you are talking extended periods of time.
    2) I run cap down as that way if anything sticks to the grate it is the fat that I then peel off and eat once the butt is removed.
    All above FWIW-

Thanks for the advice! I usually dry brine but I'll look into wet brining for a future cook. Agree on the cap down. Happy cooking! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Check out the pork butt posts from @YukonRon as he has dialed it in to a very impressive level.  Give the search function here a run. 
  • Teefus
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Just emerging from the food coma. I had to wrap for the last 90 minutes to drive the internal temp up to 200 and finish in 10 hours. It could have gone 12 hours otherwise. Next time I’ll jack the temp up to 350 for the front end of the cook. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Just emerging from the food coma. I had to wrap for the last 90 minutes to drive the internal temp up to 200. It could have gone 12 hours otherwise. Next time I’ll jack the temp up to 350 for the front end of the cook. 

I am no pork butt expert but you should assess your rub and if it has sugar then stay below 300-325*F so it doesn't burn.  I always find that starting at a lower than target temp (say 240-260 when looking for 275-290*F) and letting the cooking of the protein coupled with any dome opening spritizing events naturally lead to higher cook temps works for me.
    But every cook is its own adventure.  Above all, have fun! FWIW-
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just completed a 24 hour cook of a pork butt, and it was worth the time and labor invested. I am weird that way.

I know people like to push the temps up to get it done in a hurry, and it works to a certain level, however, my preference for cooking a pork but is a 2-day ritual for every pork butt. 

Day one: Brine with pickling salt, filtered water, and molasses when completely thawed, after scoring the fat. I use 8 ounces (weight) or 3/4 cup of molasses, 12 ounces of pickling salt, 2 quarts of bottled water, or filtered water, with a 6-8 pound butt, no less than 8 hours, 12-24 hours is ideal. I use a Lexan container to brine it in. Be sure the brine is mixed thoroughly.

Day two: Remove from the  brine, pat it dry, use your rub of choice, (I use a very spicy rub), rub it in to the shoulder vigorously, using latex gloves, (they leave more rub on the surface than your bare hands, and not as messy) let sit until the fire is ready, then cover with peach preserves, just prior to placing it on the BGE at 225F-250F. Cook until about 190F-195F, using your choice of smoking wood, (I prefer peach wood with pork, using about 4-6 fist sized chunks). Pull when a fork can easily pull the meat apart, or inserting any type of probe and its removal provides little to no resistance.

Remove from the grill, (I use a pizza peel to do so). I typically do so between 195F to 200F and tent loosely with foil. Let stand a few minutes prior to pulling and serving, it will be hot and very juicy, full of flavor. The char will be heavy, and delicious, giving you a sweet, smoky, spicy, savory flavor. I serve a very nice grenache/pinot noir blend rose' wine, and it works wonderfully well. 

I have had them done in 12 hours to 24 hours. I do not: Wrap, use a pan for humidity, or spritz. The results are melt in your mouth divine.

I will not cook a pork butt any other way.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Options
    I've used the Peach Preserve angle in the past. It works well on ribs too. I like to puree the preserves with some molasses and a little butter. We had pulled pork tacos last night along with Mexican Street Corn and Mexican rice with peppers. Pork Butt is a pretty versatile protein. We still have a bunch left too.