Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gave Away My Small

In case the Buffalo is monitoring, it’s on indefinite loan to my son in-law.  My garage (with all manner of stuff including Egg things & lump stash) has been a horrible mess for an embarrassing amount of time.  It was time to evaluate my things.  I bought the small so I could egg when I visit my Mom on weekends.  She’s been gone a few years and the small went unused because I love cooking on my XL.  My SIL is a pretty good hand on his Blackstone and he was interested in learning the Egg way of cooking.  So I sent them on their way with four different bags of lump.  Royal Oak red bag, Royal Oak green bag, FOGO and a Rockwood.  I can’t tell the difference between the Royal Oaks, but what the heck.

This is a pile of stuff in my garage including a number of bags of lump.  I found a couple bags of Ozark Oak and an old Weekend Warrior bag.

I hope you have a fine day!
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,965
    WOW - that professional tool chest buried back there is impressive! Were or are you employed in the automotive field?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Good seeing you post.
    canuckland
  • Not at all Ron.  I’m just armed with tools for many calamities that may befall my old tractor.  Cars are too complex nowadays for me to go blundering around with a wrench.

I did a clean burn on the small and cooked the gasket.  Could you help me out with that?
    Flint, Michigan
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    Way to gift something that you weren't using that someone else will enjoy! Win/Win!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,965
    Not at all Ron.  I’m just armed with tools for many calamities that may befall my old tractor.  Cars are too complex nowadays for me to go blundering around with a wrench.

I did a clean burn on the small and cooked the gasket.  Could you help me out with that?
    Sure can - send me a PM - but have you bought from me before so you know the drill?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    @Fred19Flintstone - glad you have surfaced here.  As noted above, everyone wins with your generosity.  Nice move.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Excellent use of your small!  Feed'm or teach'm then they can feed you.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I have an OG mini and my LBGE, i have used the mini once in the last year. most of my cooks are bigger for friends etc. Rarely doing any small cooks anymore. 
    I was actually thinking of selling it over the last weekend. I am still undecided. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 362
    hondabbq said:
    I have an OG mini and my LBGE, i have used the mini once in the last year. most of my cooks are bigger for friends etc. Rarely doing any small cooks anymore. 
    I was actually thinking of selling it over the last weekend. I am still undecided. 
    My Wife purchased me an XL for Christmas, my medium has been unused since. When my BIL came down for a few days we did pizzas on the XL one night and a prime rib roast the next day. According to my SIL, he wouldn’t shut up about it. We made a deal and now he has a Medium.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    I passed my medium to my nephew when I got my large.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    I gave my nephew my small last year. I hadn't used it in a while but over time it had chipped and deteriorated. Before giving it to him I got a whole bunch of warranty replacement parts including a top, and bottom, a fire box and ring. I bought a new band myself. He basically got a brand new small egg, and I threw in a new plate setter and a bag of lump. I gave it to my sister to give to him, never heard anything else about it after that. That young generation, I just don't get it, a simple thank you would have been nice.

I might as well have given it to a hobo. Still happy I did it, but c'mon, common decency. This kid is 27 too, he should know better. 

Paul
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    fwiw, I tried gifting a Large to my son and SIL, both declined.
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    What kind of tractor are you beating on @Fred19Flintstone ?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Ybabpmuts said:
    I gave my nephew my small last year. I hadn't used it in a while but over time it had chipped and deteriorated. Before giving it to him I got a whole bunch of warranty replacement parts including a top, and bottom, a fire box and ring. I bought a new band myself. He basically got a brand new small egg, and I threw in a new plate setter and a bag of lump. I gave it to my sister to give to him, never heard anything else about it after that. That young generation, I just don't get it, a simple thank you would have been nice.

I might as well have given it to a hobo. Still happy I did it, but c'mon, common decency. This kid is 27 too, he should know better. 

Paul
    What did you expect you know how he was raised.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    @alaskanassasin

I'm sorry,  did I tell you that I knew how he was raised? What are you implying exactly?

SB
  • What kind of tractor are you beating on @Fred19Flintstone ?
    I have a 1966 International Cub.

Flint, Michigan
  • alaskanassasin
    Nice tractor @Fred19Flintstone I was going to say it would be perfect for a baler but according to the internet the pto turn’s opposite of conventional pto. Interesting 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    fwiw, I tried gifting a Large to my son and SIL, both declined.
    Smart kids. If either had accepted it, they'd have to start cooking for themselves! =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Nice tractor @Fred19Flintstone I was going to say it would be perfect for a baler but according to the internet the pto turn’s opposite of conventional pto. Interesting 
    That is one of the Cub’s eccentricities.  I bought it as a toy that can mow the yard.  But It’s primary job other than being something to spend money on and keeping me out of trouble, is to plow my driveway in the winter.  Not that I have a huge driveway, but ever since I got a bionic hip, Wilma won’t let me shovel or use the snowblower.  She says I’m unstable on the ice.  I’ve had it parked in my backyard all last winter because my garage was full of stuff.  I can’t wait to give it a whirl on the white stuff.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    edited July 2023

All Eggs should be given away and never sold.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • Ybabpmuts
    The entire poultry industry would implode. Your grandma giving you an egg or two is fine, your sister Beulah looking at your eggs down at the creek is sorta fine, using shoe horns to get the chickens eggs early is not fine. The noise alone isn't worth it. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    An incredibly kind gesture, from the one person you know to expect such charity from. 

The world needs  more like you.

Glad to see your post and hope many are to follow. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky