Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Deck - What to cook

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
My Egg has been out of commission since prior to Memorial day. Demo started on my old deck the Friday prior with the expectation that the new would be completed in a week. A series of SNAFUs by the materials supplier resulted in weeks of delay, which fouled up my contractor's labor planning. The good news is it should be wrapped up this week, with only a few detail items left to complete.

I'll be doing my inaugural Low and Slow this weekend to Christen the deck. So what to cook? I'm thinking a Brisket or some Dino Ribs. It's been a while since I've done either. Thoughts?

Before Deck

And After (almost done)

Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,449
    Options
    A nice full packer is a great way to break it in. A couple of libations along the way……
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    Nice deck!  I vote 🦖 dino ribs!

Options
    Beautiful set up
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Awesome!! Where did you get the cart between the grills? EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Brisket or Butts. Something that allows you and others to sit back and enjoy the new deck while not being to "busy" fiddling with the food.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    Great deck right there.  I vote for the dino bones, easier than a brisket so you can enjoy your surroundings.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a beautiful spot. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,038
    Options
    Very nice! It looks to be composite? I'm curious the brand you went with if you know off hand?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks like it was worth waiting for, very nice.  I'd also go with the beef ribs.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,500
    Options
    Beautiful deck, and love all the trees!  

I vote seafood tacos:

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Definitely makes your yard look bigger.  Very nice.
    NOLA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,589
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Definitely makes your yard look bigger.  Very nice.
    They say if you trim some of those bushes it will make your deck look bigger😉
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Teefus
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Awesome!! Where did you get the cart between the grills? EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Brisket or Butts. Something that allows you and others to sit back and enjoy the new deck while not being to "busy" fiddling with the food.
    Wally World. On sale for $125. Lots of assembly required, but It's solid as a rock.
  • Teefus
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Very nice! It looks to be composite? I'm curious the brand you went with if you know off hand?
    It's Trex. Kind of spendy but all the composite companies were. We really like it. It's the last one I intend to build.
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Last fall I also replaced both our front and rear decks with the same brand and we just love it. I believe we have the same railing too. But now my wife is being so careful and doesn't want anything on the new deck.  :o Thankfully there is also a concrete patio where the egg and gas grill can reside. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,038
    Options
    Teefus said:
    WeberWho said:
    It's Trex. Kind of spendy but all the composite companies were. We really like it. It's the last one I intend to build.
    Thanks. I'm in the same position and looking for something composite. Trex or Timber Tech seem to be the leaders in the field. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My vote is for Briskey and Dino's. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Teefus
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    Last fall I also replaced both our front and rear decks with the same brand and we just love it. I believe we have the same railing too. But now my wife is being so careful and doesn't want anything on the new deck.  :o Thankfully there is also a concrete patio where the egg and gas grill can reside. 
    For now I just hose the deck off under the grilles when I cook. I'll be investing in a grille mat to place under each cooker to catch any errant embers. In the 13 years that the grilles were on top of the wood deck I only managed to burn it once, and that was from a small piece that fell out of a chimney starter. Both the Weber and the BGE do a great job of containing sparks and embers.
  • Teefus
    Options
    Well the pickings were a little slim at Costco when I went on my protein run. I wound up with a nice 8# Brisket Flat and a 9# Pork Belly. They had plate ribs but they didn't look that great and they were double packed to boot. I wasn't interested in spending $75 on marginal ribs. They had a few whole packers but they looked pretty sketchy. The egg will get a workout for the next two weekends at least.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Both. You are celebrating a new cooking deck. Don’t limit your possibilities. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Teefus
    Options
    I did half of the flat as well as a four bone rib section I had saved from last Christmas' rib roast. The ribs made for a nice appetizer as they were done first. The flat was glorious, with plenty left over for tacos. I'll do half of the belly later in the week. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,459
    Options
    Flat looks great.  Impressive finish right there.  Sweet ring as well.
    Congrats on the inaugural cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Forgot to add the money shot

That looks as good as it gets, awesome job!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Teefus
    Options
    I have the leftovers wrapped tight in a foil pouch with a little butter and beef broth, A couple hours in a slow oven should get it all juiced up again and ready for dinner tonight.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Having my deck and screened enclosure replaced in the next month, went with Weardeck. Hope it looks as good as yours. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    That looks great! Nice ring! Enjoy……
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2