Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- for professional margarita drinkers-on the rocks or not-and do the slushies count-OT

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,415
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
Given that Cinco De Mayo is a widely accepted American creation and is on the horizon I thought I would sample this collective a few days in advance for their collective wisdom. ( Truth be told I was on a serious Don Julio 1942 kick (chilled and straight for a few years) but have since moved on.) 
What say this learned community regarding the proper cocktail?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    no "pro" here at all...but when out doing my Mexican meal thing then the slushy way with the rim of salt plus a slice of orange is the only way to go!!! (OTOH nothing like a brain freeze to cool the taste buds if need be, huh?)  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Herradura Silver and Cointreau work for my margaritas on the rocks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    My preference is on the rocks with decent reposado or anejo tequila, fresh lime juice, fresh lemon juice with a float of grand Marnier or Cointreau on top. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Definitely on the rocks, not frozen and a salt rim!  
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I am not an expert but always prefer rocks version—always with Codigo.   Salted rim and lime wedge.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Mescal shot, seasalt between thumb and forefinger, bite a lime.     
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    caliking said:
    Herradura Silver and Cointreau work for my margaritas on the rocks. 

This is me.  Never Grand Marnier in a margarita.  It's cognac.  Gross (gross in a margarita, cognac itself is nice).
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Please don't make a slushie........
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Flew what's-her-name to Vegas for her birthday.  We explored the town, mostly on foot (the tram was just getting started) and by 2 pm we were beat, and badly overheated.  Hit our hotel bar and order a pitcher of margaritas.  I don't know what the recipe was (it was on the rocks), but I don't think any drink ever hit the spot more than that did, ahhhh!  
    Not sure I've had a margarita ever since.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Frozen or shaken/chilled/strained, no rocks. Salted rim. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    I have a few more days but this is great insight.  I will definitely reveal my choice(s) but no more than two...Friday PM.  Keep the cards and letters coming and thanks. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Oh man, one of my favs! Tequila, fresh squeezed lime juice, cointreau, and a dash of simple syrup if desired - on the rocks with a salt rim.

Espolon is really great tequila for the price.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    On the rocks, dirty (scrub) the glass with an orange peel, salt rim, float of Chambord (Grand Marnier works too).

Options
    Real brown sea salt, toss down the real mescal with the worm, bite the lime. Eat the worm.  Don't mess around 😝 wake up walking five miles from the house after you empty the bottle.......
    fukahwee maine

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    From a long long time ago.

The cap has a built in strainer. I think this was from the 90s. I got this at a ski resort that used to be named squaw valley. 

Perfect for poolside since it is plastic. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @fishlessman - I am old now but I wrestled with that worm in my youth.  Regrettably more than once or twice.  If you see me on the road just give me a ride in the Rover.  Thanks in advance-
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Can't say I've never done that walk. Google Cadillac margaritas, rocks. I don't like clear tequila
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    Real brown sea salt, toss down the real mescal with the worm, bite the lime. Eat the worm.  Don't mess around 😝 wake up walking five miles from the house after you empty the bottle.......
    L M A O 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    L M A O 
    College bets on tests...win a bottle😁
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    L M A O 
    Why didn't I figure out that explanation sooner??? 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    They're almost all good.  Frozen, not frozen.  Rocks, no rocks.  Any properly made margarita with a decent recipe is good.  Like 9/10 good. 

There are some bad margaritas but I'm ignoring them - even though I made one this past weekend.  (We had a bottle of margarita mix we had to use up...)

Many of the modifications mentioned above are improvements over the standard margarita and can move it above 9 toward a 10, but the standard decent margarita is a very good drink.  

Just my $0.02.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    Options
    I rarely read memoirs but I have enjoyed your scrivenings so much these past few years I'm ready to pre-order a copy of yours right now.

Please tell me it is almost finished! :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    L M A O 
    Why didn't I figure out that explanation sooner??? 
    I you have never done a mescal shot correctly.....it's time 😁.  It's important
    fukahwee maine

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Absolutely NO bottled margarita mixers, way to much sugar and margaritas aren't supposed to be sweet (I think). I'm a purist...just tequila, triple sec, and fresh lime juice... Shaken and strained into a salt rimmed martini glass. And I'm not even picky on the brand of tequila. And yea, note to self, only have 1, then switch to wine!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Absolutely NO bottled margarita mixers, way to much sugar and margaritas aren't supposed to be sweet (I think). I'm a purist...just tequila, triple sec, and fresh lime juice... Shaken and strained into a salt rimmed martini glass. And I'm not even picky on the brand of tequila. And yea, note to self, only have 1, then switch to wine!
    Triple sec has 11 grams of sugar per ounce so...kinda sweet.

• Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Below is a zoom in from an internet pic showing Taqueria del Sol’s three spirit approaches as attached to the mix they sell (and we have bought and enjoyed).  Their cookbook has the recipe for their sweet n sour. Also on the internet if this is indeed it:

To make the Sweet-and-Sour Mix, you will need

3/4 cup water

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup lime juice

1/2 cup lemon juice

To make the Sweet and Sour Mix…combine 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar in a saucepan and heat on high. Let boil and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Add 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup lime juice and stir. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.

Side note— It’s an excellent restaurant and rarely a month goes by without eating there. 

In the interest of even more convenience and zero cleanup—  I keep on hand some of the Cayman Jack line of canned or bottled margaritas (and the variety pack with mojito, etc). 
  • RRP
    Options
    maybe I'm a real pansy, but if I had one or maybe two of the drink recipes suggested here I would be tied tighter than a dog "knot" if you get my drift!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @HeavyG -  Can you imagine the sugar content with one of the bottled mixers?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    As others have suggested, Tequila, fresh lime juice, Cointreau, shake with ice and strain.  A great twist to try is muddle a few slices of jalapeño in the bottom of the salted glass.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's 2 of my favorite tequilas. On the rocks with salted rim. This bottled mix is the best one I've found. Dr. Swami Bone Daddy's Top Shelf, it has citrus particles in it.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.