Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Repurposed Cracked Bases

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,365
I got a large base with a hairline crack on the bottom I replaced last fall, any uses for it other than a large flower pot?
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Put a cookie on it from a good size tree and use it for a side table. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Herb garden.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Experiment.  Refractory cement repair the Crack.  High temp paint and high temp clear and paint it.  Fire it up and see what happens.  I'd high temp paint it then air brush it.  High temp clear it.  Never would tell.  And you would have proven a repair works 

Ijs
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I would make a game of it.  I'd put it on the curb in a black bag and then watch from inside as the garbage guy tries to throw it in the truck.  

I am a dinosaur.  I don't repurpose stuff.  I am the reason you all will have to remember to unplug your cars before going to work.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Options
    Probably going to plant something in it, just figured as many eggers here have had to replace them there could be some uses I haven’t thought of. 
    Table would be a nice conversation piece but I don’t really have a spot for it. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you are so inclined, it can be used to fashion an in-ground tandoor. 

Will take a smidge of effort, but you'll have another cooker :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I had a cracked base replaced.  Had a cracked fire box replaced, found a dome on e-bay, built a new EGG and still use it to this day....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    Reminds me of my over ambitious tandoor project that never came to fruition  :)
    Cut off bottom of egg bottom, invert and encase in steel drum with refractory cement. Prior to pouring the cement:
    1) build floor with firebricks
    2) cut hole for lower vent
    3) raise egg bottom to same level as drum top, using rows of standing firebricks
    4) mortar the brick joints
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Reminds me of my over ambitious tandoor project that never came to fruition  :)
    Cut off bottom of egg bottom, invert and encase in steel drum with refractory cement. Prior to pouring the cement:
    1) build floor with firebricks
    2) cut hole for lower vent
    3) raise egg bottom to same level as drum top, using rows of standing firebricks
    4) mortar the brick joints
     That's how I built my tandoor in a 55gal drum. Except that I used a large flower pot (about $70 at Lowes, 15yrs ago). Worked very well.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    @caliking saw your build and subsequent crack repair in Brethren. Can't believe you had time for that.
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    Options
    caliking said:

So, you're burying your cookers to hide them from caliqueen?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have a great multi-year pepper garden going in my cracked base. Probably year 7 at this point. We have some okra in there with the peppers at the moment. We have had that the last 3 years and the peppers and okra get spicier and spicier every year. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    caliking said:

So, you're burying your cookers to hide them from caliqueen?  
    She has just about found all of the ones that are above ground...

• caliking
    Options
    @caliking saw your build and subsequent crack repair in Brethren. Can't believe you had time for that.
    Me neither! :) 

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    I have a small bge base that cracked and was replaced under warranty.  My daughter used the cracked base to grow tomatoes in last year.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    planning to make a beehive with one stay tuned

LOL - I bet the worker bees who protect that heavy hive as a show of strength to the onslaught of killer wasps will be able to kick some wasp butts!!! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    planning to make a beehive with one stay tuned

LOL - I bet the worker bees who protect that heavy hive as a show of strength to the onslaught of killer wasps will be able to kick some wasp butts!!! =)
    I dealt with those thieving bastards on a hive last fall, 15 minutes with a fly swatter greatly reduced their numbers.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dobie
    Options
    Planted habaneros, got some tiny peppers going already.

Jacksonville FL
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Planted habaneros, got some tiny peppers going already.

Put some fresh grass clippings as mulch around your pepper plants. Will help retain moisture and the heat from decomposition will help your peppers grow larger.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.