Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HAVING A WHOLE PIG BUTCHERED

Options
BUFFALOMOOSE
BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
Thursday morning we are sending off a pig to be processed. Below is the instruction sheet. We are going to have them cut, vacpac and freeze.  Any special cuts I should ask for?  What about the head. I have seen head cheese videos but am really not into the gelatinous texture.  I am going to ask for the cheeks.  Anything else from the head? My partner doesn't want the liver, heart, tongue or lard so I have to do some research on those. Any help is appreciated. 

South Buffalo, New York

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    Oh Man, all of it from the blood to the Caulfat , keep it all , if I’d have my rathers , just process it, pull the pluck split it in two and put it in ice, break it down yourself 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    The head is a treat by itself, IMO. Smoke it whole, seasoned whatever way you like. 

Get the leaf lard, for sure. Then get ready for the best pies, tortillas     biscuits, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Part of Animal Husbandry is processing your own, curious as to why you are taking it to a processor 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    Where's the ribs?
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Thanks @lkapigian and @caliking.  I will indeed take the head and smoke it.  I will have them cut it in half for me.  I was in Cleveland about 8 years ago and I went to Mabel's, Michael Simons BBQ place and ordered 1/2 a pigs head.  Unfortunately I can't find any info on how they did it nor for that matter much info at all on the internet.  As to why I am not processing it myself, at this point I certainly don't have the proper tools, knowledge but mostly a large enough, clean enough spot with the proper refrigeration to do it.  Would love to be an apprentice and get some hands on experience though.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Awesome @BUFFALOMOOSE , there is just so much good that the processors keep or resell, even the best of them , there are a few Farmstead Classes around the country I highly recommend looking into if you think you’ll ever do this again, all you need is a couple good knives, there is only a couple small cuts you need with a bone saw …. You’ve got a couple each of Capicola, Lonzino and Lomo , couple nice slabs of belly , plenty of sausage and a couple prosciutto
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    why throw away all the parts you need to make scrapple?  You'd be missing out