Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you use your Souv Vide?

Options
13»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I'd wager that you have more fecal matter (aerosilized, or other) on you within 5 minutes of walking into a stable :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited March 2023
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac I'd wager that you have more fecal matter (aerosilized, or other) on you within 5 minutes of walking into a stable :)
    That is without a doubt.  But that is just processed grasses.  It doesn't cause me near the angst of the drug filled barely processed biomass expelled from humans.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    That’s an easy one - stop worrying about it. The absorption of any drugs/chemicals, via the route described,  would at best be negligible. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    caliking said:
    That’s an easy one - stop worrying about it. The absorption of any drugs/chemicals, via the route described,  would at best be negligible. 
    But I am suspectable to bacteria and viruses in human biomass, horses don't have diseases I can get.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    But I am suspectable to bacteria and viruses in human biomass, horses don't have diseases I can get.
     Not yet…

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:

Vacuum Seal brisket and Sous Vide to warm up.
    Brisket Tacos for the win
    What Anova is that?  Red anodized and fancy screen?
    It’s an older Anova and no longer made.
    How old is old? This is my 2014 Kickstarter Anova unit. Since day 1 it was off by few degrees according to two Thermapens, should have returned it for exchange. The discrepancy is not linear so I have to use a Thermapen to keep it honest for each cook. The blue dial wheel is also wonky so phone is needed to set temp/time via BT. Guess this is what you call bleeding edge, lol.
    Thanks to this thread, and to @grateEggspectations for 'rubbing it in' telling me how perfect his unit is  ;)

It was the impetus I needed to contact Anova, telling them my issues and only blame myself for not returning it at the get-go. Long story short, they generously agreed to send me a brand new replacement as a one-time goodwill gesture. To say I am floored by their customer service is an understatement.

I shipped back the old unit on Monday, the replacement arrived today! The only catch is I get a 90-day warranty even though it's brand new.

canuckland
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @Canugghead, it’s stories like these that help keep the faith. Thanks.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    caliking said:
    That is without a doubt.  But that is just processed grasses.  It doesn't cause me near the angst of the drug filled barely processed biomass expelled from humans.
    Let us tell you about e. coli and your family toothbrushes...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    Options
    You may have still got a good deal @Canugghead, despite the decreased warranty period. i believe the older units were 800W, the newer ones are 1000W. A little more oomph.

• Canugghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    You may have still got a good deal @Canugghead, despite the decreased warranty period. i believe the older units were 800W, the newer ones are 1000W. A little more oomph.
    True, new one also has wifi.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How did you ever turn on a bath of hot water to a specific temperature for many hours before turning it off *without* Wi-Fi?!?!?!?
    edited March 2023
    Options
    How did you ever turn on a bath of hot water to a specific temperature for many hours before turning it off *without* Wi-Fi?!?!?!?
    Dial (wonky for a long time) and BT. Remember this is 2014 Kickstarter!

canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    The wifi feature has some utility. IIRC, the Anova can be set to 40F, but Joule cannot be set that low.

You could set up your SV rig in the morning, with a frozen protein in a bath, to thaw for some time at 40F. Monitor temp remotely. When its thawed, you bump up the temp to finish the cook. Nifty method for weekdays. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    The wifi feature has some utility. IIRC, the Anova can be set to 40F, but Joule cannot be set that low.

You could set up your SV rig in the morning, with a frozen protein in a bath, to thaw for some time at 40F. Monitor temp remotely. When its thawed, you bump up the temp to finish the cook. Nifty method for weekdays. 
    Great idea, but what's weekdays  ;)
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    caliking said:

Great idea, but what's weekdays  ;)
    Honestly, as I typed that out, I said to myself "he doesn't even remember what weekdays were!" :lol: