Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE at my resort in Mexico

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660

Pleasantly surprised, I wasn’t expecting that.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Caveman crawfish?
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Caveman crawfish?
    looks like shovel bass to me...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    RRP said:
    Caveman crawfish?
    Lol!  I missed the shovel completely and was looking at the seafood.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    vamos a la playa!    
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Did you ask them to step aside? Lol. At a minimum, ask them the existential question as to whether the Egg will in fact boil water!

Hope you’re having a great time, @paqman. I can assure you things are just as dreary at home as when you left!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    RRP said:
    Caveman crawfish?
    guess you missed the crawfish paddle joke.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They need a kick ash basket….that shovel seems unwieldy.  Never seen lobster tail cut like that, interesting.
    RRP said:
    Caveman crawfish?
    guess you missed the crawfish paddle joke.
    yes I certainly did since you said "caveman crawfish" - oh well...
  • Man, I need a resort in Mexico…
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Better to be lucky than good right there.  Gotta be a top shelf destination.   Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I hope it’s good. But at least it will make you smile if they screw things up. Who knows though, maybe they are experts. From the shovel I’m questioning things though. Have fun, let us know
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited March 2023
    Are those really tiny people or a really big egg?

Either way it looks warmer than here .. Snowed this morning.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    kl8ton said:

His resort is definitely warmer than your campground.  You are both winning, but he is winning more right now.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    kl8ton said:

I thought the same thing.  XL and tiny people, or XXL and large people?  Probably just the camera perspective.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • paqman
    Langner91 said:
    kl8ton said:

I thought the same thing.  XL and tiny people, or XXL and large people?  Probably just the camera perspective.
    They were definitely not tall.  It looks like an XL.

kl8ton said:

His resort is definitely warmer than your campground.  You are both winning, but he is winning more right now.
    You still win with your backyard! 😃

Caveman crawfish?
    I actually had a piece of caveman picanha!  I had to convince them to try it. 

They need a kick ash basket….that shovel seems unwieldy.  Never seen lobster tail cut like that, interesting.
    never seen lobster tail cut like this either but SMWBO said it was really good.

Langner91 said:
    I assume you talked to those two and told them what brand of lump you use, how you light your egg, and what vent settings you would run for that seafood, right?

I mean eggheads gotta egghead!
    They are just grillers and I don’t speak a word of spanish, they have a “pitmaster” dedicated to maintaining the grills, etc.  I actually had a chat with him about the charcoal (which look surprisingly high quality and all natural).  Their egg would definitely fail the dollar bill test, but I am trying really hard to ignore that 😂🤣

@paqman, interesting on the shovel for the coals. I wonder if they treat it like a whole hog pit and just add coals as necessary, or just to light it. Sounds to me like a good time had by all. Enjoy sir.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • paqman
    They constantly open and close the lid so the charcoal burns hot and fast.  They only keep a small amount in the egg.  They run the grill from 12:00 to 18:00 so not the typical use case of bringing the BGE up to temp, cook food, close the egg.  I guess it makes sense for them.  Their charcoal makes a LOT of smoke when first lit.

paqman said:
    They constantly open and close the lid so the charcoal burns hot and fast.  They only keep a small amount in the egg.  They run the grill from 12:00 to 18:00 so not the typical use case of bringing the BGE up to temp, cook food, close the egg.  I guess it makes sense for them.  Their charcoal makes a LOT of smoke when first lit.
    6 hour window seems interesting - is it meal time at noon and 5:00 supper - but what about those other in-between hours? All afternoon hors d'oeuvre for pool side folks or what? I guess what I am really also asking - what hors d'oeuvres are they serving?

• paqman
    RRP said:
    paqman said:
    6 hour window seems interesting - is it meal time at noon and 5:00 supper - but what about those other in-between hours? All afternoon hors d'oeuvre for pool side folks or what? I guess what I am really also asking - what hors d'oeuvres are they serving?

The area outside with the BGE is only open for lunch/snack, there is a pizza bar right next to the main pool.  They have burgers, nachos, etc.  They have tapas in the lounge area.  Interestingly, no buffet except for breakfast, that’s a first for us in an all-inclusive resort,

paqman said:
    RRP said:
    paqman said:

The area outside with the BGE is only open for lunch/snack, there is a pizza bar right next to the main pool.  They have burgers, nachos, etc.  They have tapas in the lounge area.  Interestingly, no buffet except for breakfast, that’s a first for us in an all-inclusive resort,
    So how is the security force there? Is their well armed presence obvious? On purpose or just so you know? We have neighbors who have vacationed around in several spots in Mexico and have told us armed security levels range all over the scale!
  • paqman
    RRP said:
    paqman said:
    RRP said:
    paqman said:

So how is the security force there? Is their well armed presence obvious? On purpose or just so you know? We have neighbors who have vacationed around in several spots in Mexico and have told us armed security levels range all over the scale!
    Nothing more than what we are used to see elsewhere while vacationing but we have decided to stay on the resort just to be safe.  We see the army walking on the beach every other hour or so and there were patrols/roadblocks along the main road leading to our resort.  It is out first time in Mexico so I can’t really say if this is more or less than usual.

We were at an all inclusive in Playa Mujeres last summer.   The resort-row area was fully gated, we never saw any blatant security yet we never felt unsafe whatsoever.   

Same deal for us @paqman only buffet was breakfast, the other umpteen restaurants were traditional order from a menu.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas