Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket and Divider for Large BGE

Options
This looks interesting. Does the divider work on a Large? I've heard creating indirect zones on a large BGE is easier said than done.

Comments

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    With my large, the way I handle direct and indirect at the same time is to use a kettle for the direct cook.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I have the KAB and divider for both my large and XL.  Obviously it works a lot better on the XL because it’s much more space.  On the large if I want two zone cooking  I usually use a CGS half stone and spider and bank the coals to the opposite side of the stone.  However, for reverse searing I much prefer the full conveggtor approach.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I like using the KAB and divider on my Large when I use the rotisserie. Seems perfect to me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Can't speak for the divider but I love my KAB. Makes ash cleanout 1000 times easier.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    On my Large I prefer to do the duel zone higher up in the Egg using a half stone in the Adjustable Rig or Woo Ring. Using the lump divider works much better in my XL but still not as well as half stone higher up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Like @OhioEgger, I use my divider for my rotisserie.  It helps that accessory a lot.

I used it for a rotisserie cook a few weeks ago.  Then, the next day I was going to cook chicken.  Normally, I cook chicken raised direct.  Because I already had coal in the back half and the divider installed, I went ahead and cooked the chicken at the fire ring and used the front half of the grill.  It seemed to cook the same as raised direct.

The divider is a bit messy when taking it out or putting it in.  You have to have a place for the used charcoal in your KAB when installing.  Pulling it out is easier, but usually leads to black hands, regardless.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I made mine.  Very usefull.  Double split foe Rotisserie.  Single for split zone

Columbus, Ohio