Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Brisket Flat -- HELP!

Options
BourbeQGuy
BourbeQGuy Posts: 2
Not a total novice, but just 2 years into egg smoking.  Not my first brisket but definitely my first flat only.  I've searched through the board for recipes and read up.  I know I'm working with the lean end.  I am not planning on injecting, but I am willing to be convinced if that's the only way to keep a lean flat juicy. 

I have an 8.9 pound flat that I am going to cook Sunday.

Plan is 250 heat on egg.  Straight S&P rub.  Cook 4 hrs-ish to 160ish, wrap in foil, another two hours to hopefully 200.  Rest.  Should I take a different approach for a flat?  Plan differently time-wise for flat?  Appreciate any advice from the experienced folks here.  Thanks.  

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Flats are all I've ever cooked, and I've only turned out one bad one (and I think that was the cow, because the other one right next to it was fine).  I cook at 250˚, have never wrapped (but have never got one done in 4 hours either, usually takes me at least 8).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As with @botch, I expect you might need more time. If you’re worried about drying, you can always add some bouillon into the foil when you wrap. 

Are you using any smoke wood?
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Your plan is solid. I would allow at least an hour rest in the FTC cooler before slicing/serving. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Below is a link to a brisket flat recipe that gets good reviews:

As mentioned above, Pick your slice (on demand) time.  Back that up by around 4-6 hours.  Since the brisket improves with a FTC hold, aim to finish somewhere in that window.  Figure the cook time as around one hour/lb in the 260-280*F (on the calibrated dome thermo).  There's your start time. 
    You can speed the cook along by wrapping (foil is the big accelerator but you soften the bark, or butcher paper which will also speed it up but not as much as foil).  You can crank the temp up into the low 300's if you need to press it home or dial it down to slow down the cook. 
    Bottom line-give yourself room to maneuver w/o stressing about the finish time.  Take it til it probes smooth (likely 202-206*F) as the feel is the finish line indicator-just like a packer as that finish is determined byt he feel in the flat as well.  Above all, have fun.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BourbeQGuy
    Options
    Thank you all for these comments.  I appreciate the advice.  I didn't mean to imply I want to rush the cook, I figure I'm getting up very early to get this fire going.  I like the bouillon idea, but I'm also interested in Botch saying you've never wrapped.  My instinct has always been to not wrap, but I'm worried about the meat not being moist (understanding I'm not cooking a point).  Any tips you've got there?  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Paging @Botch...see above. (The @ followed by the poster's handle can trigger an alert if the poster has that feature set up in their profile...FYI).
    @BourbeQGuy -A bit late here but welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I always plan for 1.5hrs/# for brisket, including the flat.   I usually pull at 205F and then wrap and cooler for several hours.   S&P is the way to go.   Wrapping is something I've never done but to each their own.

Let us know how it works out.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    when i cook 7 pound flats they go about 10 hours at that temp. 
    have done a few flats at 350 dome raised rack direct that have turned out pretty good, they need to be foiled with no more than 2 tablspoons liquid at about the 170 internal mark, brought up to 200 and coolered for 4 hours or so. they hit 170 in 2 to 3 hours, finishes up in about 4.5 t05 hours total, add 4 to 6 hours in the cooler

taste and texture are a little different, old dave has a good writeup to get you started. its good but its not quite the same, injectinng it might make it more like brisket overall
    use alot of smoking wood, i skipped the oak chunks and split some from the log pile
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket

DSC_0425jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Your plans above sound solid but I would not just blindly cook to 200 degrees after you wrap it. Start probing for tenderness between 185-190. Cook until it probes tender, then give it a good rest.
    Like you said, not your first Rodeo…You got it. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas