Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best accessory I have

ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
It's not that often that a product or service far exceeds expectations. And rarely this day and time is said product or service $25 bucks. I don't buy a lot of junk, I try to research and save for the higher quality stuff...which is also why I don't buy much stuff, cause I'm broke. 

But this dang $25 grate lifter is the cat's meow. I bought it on a whim from the butcher shop one day months ago and my expectations have been FAR EXCEEDED. It grabs the little mini max grate and my L cast iron grate equally well. Grab one if you don't have one, you won't be disappointed. 

Keep the faith my fellow eggheads. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• I have the older style of the grid lifter.  It really comes in handy when lifting the XL grids.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I've been using one of these for a few years

Check this out!
    https://a.co/d/fQJOmII
    Boom
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I have the older style of the grid lifter.  It really comes in handy when lifting the XL grids.  
    I have the older style too, need to get it fixed.  I also have the newer green plastic one shown, but the bottom portion is bent a bit (anhedral), which allows my CI grill to spin easily on it; one of these days it'll spin and a hot CI grill is going to drop on my foot.  I need to bend it upwards, but there's a spot weld that I know will break and I don't have a way to fix it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    I use high heat fire fighter gloves and they can easily extract a platesetter, stir the fire and do anything else involving high heat.  Even carry a paella pan into the kitchen. 
    Welder gloves can accomplish the same.  Forget a one purpose rig and get the gloves.
    Many forum threads on this topic for the newer members here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    lousubcap said:
    I use high heat fire fighter gloves and they can easily extract a platesetter, stir the fire and do anything else involving high heat.  Even carry a paella pan into the kitchen. 
    Welder gloves can accomplish the same.  Forget a one purpose rig and get the gloves.
    Many forum threads on this topic for the newer members here.
    That term "welder gloves" always make me laugh! If you really want to pick up "REALLY HOT PARTS" then go with the firefighter gloves with extended cuffs! Or like me I have LONG cuffed silicon mittens meaning I can go into the burning coals of my HOT BGE and pick up the burning chunks of lump so that I can get my egg cooled down enough to take it back home in my car!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    OR...you can always buy a set of these 3,000º foundry gloves which will keep your fingers safe - but forget about being able to really use your fingers! LOL

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N9X538Q?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_GSKF8FX99R0WBKT29VH1

I’ve got a pair of these gloves that I’ve used to take grate or plate setter out of the egg no problem.  I’ve also used them to carry a full Weber smoky joe about 125 yards so the hot coals we just cooked on could help some folks at a different campsite start their fire.

For just removing the SS grate, I’ve never needed anything but the ash tool or a pair of kitchen tongs.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    - Other than my better 95% (wife).
    - I would have to say it is a my Kuchenprofi Roast Tongs/Holder. They open up wide enough to snatch a Prime Rib Roast or any roast for that matter off the cooking grate without the fear of dropping the guest of honor. Additionally, it can assist in slicing up the roast.  Just wished the handle was a bit longer. Do I use it each cook no, but nice to have around when the situation calls for them.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Pretty cool.   Do they make a grate cleaner as well?    Seems to have a little Foo Man Foul on there (or is that seasoning)?

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    edited March 2023
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    OR...you can always buy a set of these 3,000º foundry gloves which will keep your fingers safe - but forget about being able to really use your fingers! LOL

If I may ask, can you retake the photo with your hand and glove on level playing field? Hard to gauge when your hand is closer to the camera lens  ;) ok I'm just funning with you.
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

If I may ask, can you retake the photo with your hand and glove on level playing field? Hard to gauge when your hand is closer to the camera lens  ;) ok I'm just funning with you.
    LOL…at least you were kind and didn’t say small hands mean small a “Richard”! But trust me those gloves are HUGE and have no flexibility! 

I have never used those gloves even once! I forget now how much I paid for them, but I know they were not cheap. Just another thing my executor will mark for sale for a buck and then throw them in the trash when nobody buys them.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    My two favorite gadgets are the Third Hand grid lifter and my Smobot. They both get used more than anything else. Thermoworks Smoke would be #3.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Got to be my Looftlighter 1.  Knocks 15 minutes at least off the lighting process, and when all you want is a steak for dinner, that makes a big difference. 
    Also, anything cast iron - the skillets and half moon are my absolute favourite to cook with. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Is it a “third hand” if you still have to hold it?
    You don't have to hold it. That's the point, it allows you to hang a hot grate off a ton of surfaces because the grate won't touch the countertop.  But that's the whole design.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Canugghead
    @rrp donate it for door prize at Southern Illinois eggfest?
    canuckland
  • RRP
    You don't have to hold it. That's the point, it allows you to hang a hot grate off a ton of surfaces because the grate won't touch the countertop.  But that's the whole design.
    Is Thirdeye still selling those? If so - do you have a link or email address? 
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Interested as well.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    RRP said:
    Is Thirdeye still selling those? If so - do you have a link or email address? 
    Yes.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP said:
    RRP said:

Your hand covers 1/4 of that glove. 😂
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Ron's gloves remind me of this old Herman cartoon.

• RRP
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Your hand covers 1/4 of that glove. 😂
    Youbetcha!!! That was ALL I was trying to show!
  • Canugghead
    Guess what I found in the shed...

Raichlen getting a taste of his own medicine?

canuckland
  • @Canugghead

Almost looks like a SR branding iron. Not unlike putting a watermark on photos.