Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat thermometer recs

Options
I’ve been using the ThermoWorks smoke for several years now and it’s on its last leg. What’s everyone using for their meat thermometers nowadays. I’ve already got a javelin pro for instant read. 

Thx!

Comments

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    - If you like the Thermoworks Smoke have you thought about staying with a Thermoworks product and getting the Smoke X series. Gives you two choices on the number of probes and if desired you can make it s non Wi-Fi PID controller with the addition of the Billows Fan. The associated standard remote with this unit is nice and has decent range.
    - I use the Tappecue Touch (Wi-Fi) as my go to thermometer. It can utilize both wired and wireless probes. If you desire you can make it a PID contoller by adding the cruise control option.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    The Smoke is hard to beat.  However, for most of my cooks using a  leave-in probe, I usually grab the ThermoWorks Blue Dot or Dot.  Super convenient and the magnetic back makes it easy to stick on the side of the BGE handle.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What do you mean by “on its last legs”?  My experience is that digital thermometers either work or they don’t. What’s going wrong with yours?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I have the same question as @jtcBoynton - what's wrong with it? If it's just the probes acting up those are readily replaced.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Essentially I left it outside and water got into the inputs and insides so it’s inconsistent from an operational standpoint. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Essentially I left it outside and water got into the inputs and insides so it’s inconsistent from an operational standpoint. 
    I have experience with CS at thermoworks outside their usual obligation.  i was very satisfied. 

Give ‘em a chance!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Sounds like it may still have some moisture in it. Set it in a window where it can get hit by the sun most of the day and let it ride for a couple or three weeks.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Thermoworks is definitely a stand up company. They are a rare company that gives you more than you’ve bargained for.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    have you tried sticking it in a tub of dry/uncooked rice for several days?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited March 2023
    Options

I agree contacting TW support is a good suggestion. Their chat was especially helpful for me one time I needed it. 

Otherwise,  I would take the smoke base apart and see if it could be dried out.
    Looks like four screws yet  I would contact TW support first. I'd hate to mess something up and then find out later they had a better option.

I have a smoke, and a smoke X4. TBH, unless I need more than two probes or to run the billows, I tend to use the smoke. I've given original smokes to friends and family as gifts and they love them. 

The main reason I bought the X4 was to run a billows, and I don't use the billows very often.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22