Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggGenius

I've had my BGE for two years now and love it. But for long cooks, especially overnight, I find that it does need frequent attention. Thinking about purchasing an EggGenius. Any opinions on whether they are worth the money? Do they perform as advertised?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    There have been many such questions asked over the last couple months.
    The search window on this forum does a good job searching for answers.
    Also search “Flame boss 500” and you will get great info on this unit and others.

https://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Egggenius
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KimberlyO
    KimberlyO Posts: 48
    I would also recommend looking into Fireboard 2
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lots of great options. The egg genius is one of them. Works great. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    No offense meant…OK? Years ago I went with what I believe was the first of its kind created by an egger who went by the name of Shot Gun Fred. He named his product BBQ Guru. Years later my first Guru died and then I purchased a new improved BBQ Guru. Also about that time I tried and became a convert to the turbo method and that was at least 14 years ago!  I have never done an overnight cook since then and TRUST ME l have NEVER gone back to an overnighter! ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO!!! and therefore have thoroughly TRUSTED the turbo method!! I still have that new GuruI HOWEVER I do still use it on Thanksgiving Day etc just to "babysit" my bird so that I can tend to other cooking chores! that day - just to make sure all is well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Don't waste your money on the green version of the flameboss 400, just get the 500.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Don't waste your money on the green version of the flameboss 400, just get the 500.
    +1

I'd also go with the Flame Boss 500
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    if you do not mind using your phone grill side, then the Genius is fine. if you need to check multiple meats, then 500 is a bit easier over Genius. 500 is direct connect on probes and Genius needs a splitter to make the multi meat connections to the controller. I'd pass on the 400, go Genius instead. You can find a comparison on the 500 and Genius on our home page, ceramicgrilltore.com 

t