Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need sous vide advice on BGE smoked brisket

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,527
edited March 2023 in EggHead Forum
I have done MSM brisket several times with decent success as follows:
10-day brine, 1 day rest, smoked low and slow till IT 165, chill, gently steamed about 3.5 hours till IT 195-200F before serving. Steaming generates tons of juice.

Want to take a previously smoked (unsteamed) MSM point from the freezer for a party Saturday night, due to travel logistics etc. it's not practical to steam on location. Pondering two options:

1) Steam at home and FTC about an hour. Never done this before.
2) Sous vide at home and transport pouch in hot water. Don't have a clue at what temp and how long though.

Any advice and wisdom that you can share would be much appreciated. TIA. I have 48 hours starting now.
canuckland

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If it’s already fully smoked and cooked it only needs a temp of 145 to warm up to serve. If it’s only smoked to 165, chilled as above I would do SV @145-155 for 36 hours.
    This info is based on happy hour judgment.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I think that I would go with the steam at home and then maybe vacuum seal it and transport in hot water 

Options
    @Photo Egg Thanks for chiming in. 155 for 24-36hrs is what I see in several recipes for starting with raw brisket, followed by post sv smoke.

I have two curveballs here,
    a) brisket already smoked to 165
    b) missing post sv smoke; now I'm thinking the colour will be very unappetising.
    canuckland
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would steam at home and ftc and bring it over. An hour is nothing with good insulation. No serious heat loss
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    paqman said:
    I think that I would go with the steam at home and then maybe vacuum seal it and transport in hot water 
    Sorry, missed your reply earlier.  Perfect, I like that. I have this mental block that you can't vacuum seal hot/warm food in chamber sealer, keep forgetting that I still have the old Foodsaver :)  It's too big for the chamber sealer anyway, duh.

Thanks, glad I asked.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I would steam at home and ftc and bring it over. An hour is nothing with good insulation. No serious heat loss
    Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards, before reading @paqman 's idea. Also thinking of adding some juice back in the bag to keep it moist. But who knows, if rebagging gets too unwieldy I'll just FTC it.
    canuckland
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It doesn’t need to be vacuum sealed, a large ziploc will do just fine.  I typically let them rest 30-45 minutes before serving anyway so an hour doesn’t sound excessive depending on how long you plan to serve it after that.

Options
    @paqman true, but I don't have supersized ziploc bags  :)  otoh I still have many wide FS rolls.
    canuckland
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Whatever is handy and works for you. Me, I would put it in a pot/bowl cling film and foil the top etc, and simply put the bowl in the cooler and pack with towels. Fighting to get it in the vac bag hot would send me into orbit. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Whatever is handy and works for you. Me, I would put it in a pot/bowl cling film and foil the top etc, and simply put the bowl in the cooler and pack with towels. Fighting to get it in the vac bag hot would send me into orbit. 
    Haha, this may well happen to me on Saturday! Matter of fact, wrapping the whole shebang, steam pan and all, did cross my mind too. Stay tuned! After posting this, I'm going to look for a cooler box that can accommodate the pan, won't hurt to have a plan B and plan C! Damn, I'm overthunking this.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Woah! What a good looking spread of food!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Canugghead

Still trying to figure out how to get myself invited to one of your parties. Those eats!! 🤤 

I’ve always been curious about roasting my own beans. Get your nephew to roast some on the Egg! 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @WeberWho @GrateEggspectations Thanks, not sure if we enjoyed the food or ours and siblings' grandkids (14 total) more! He doesn't own an egg, I was afraid to ask what's involved in bean roasting; missed his 12-minute demo on roasting the beans used in that cuppa.
    canuckland