Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The Definition Of Insanity

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,351
edited February 2023 in EggHead Forum
I’m sure we’ve all heard insanity defined as doing something over and over, expecting a different outcome. In my case, the something is trying local BBQ restaurants. 

I am in Russellville, Arkansas to visit a close friend from the military who is in the local hospice as he is nearing the end of his days due to ALS. After our visit last night we all went to Fat Daddy’s BBQ. Yelp reviews looked promising, hour wait for a table, decent menu.

Ordered a two meat combo with brisket and pulled pork. Brisket was dryer than the Mojave, and only edible by drowning it in sauce. The pork was moist and tender, but had zero smoke flavor. 

So, I have resolved to not set foot in to another bbq restaurant until I am able to make a pilgrimage to Austin.

Bottom line, if you ever find yourself in Russellville and are tempted, give Fat Daddy’s a hard pass.
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,192
    Sorry about your friend, and sorry about the last meal.

I only got to BBQ or steak restaurants if others in the dinner party want too. I have very low expectations for the food.  That way I don't get disappointed, and occasionally am pleasantly surprised by decent food.  I go to eat with friends and enjoy their company, definitely not for the food at BBQ places.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,351
    Sorry about your friend, and sorry about the last meal.

I only got to BBQ or steak restaurants if others in the dinner party want too. I have very low expectations for the food.  That way I don't get disappointed, and occasionally am pleasantly surprised by decent food.  I go to eat with friends and enjoy their company, definitely not for the food at BBQ places.
    Thanks for the kind words. The restaurant was plan B as the local pasta place had a 2 hour wait. I also had low expectations for the food, but I always hold out the small shred of hope that I will be pleasantly surprised.  
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    My condolences on both. No fun. Needed some comfort to feed the soul and got dealt a second blow. Maybe cook a favorite and remember the friendship with a toast or two. 

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,559
    Condolences to all impacted by your friend's illness.  But I'm sure you made his day by making the trip to visit.

I have a rule I have lived with for many, many decades. "Never order in a restaurant that which you can cook at home."  However, chasing brisket in Central Texas does break the rule-and for good reason. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    Sorry to hear about your friend. You're a good egg for being there for him. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • There aren’t words.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Awesome visit Mike. We all have our time to go- friends and family make all the difference. I would never make any assumptions about anyone else but for me, having great friends and family around would make that so much better for me. And after that visit, I hope Danny found a little comfort in your visit and I hope he goes peacefully when he’s ready. ALS is no joke and that struggle cannot be overestimated. If I’m ever in that boat, I hope it’s as short as possible with hugs and laughs with friends and family before I go. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • My condolences for your friend and I’m glad you were able to have a good visit. Best wishes. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 698
    Sounds like a time when the journey was more than the destination.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    I had a friend who passed from ALS. I wish he’d have given his friends a chance for last goodbyes, but it wasn’t what he wanted. As a young man, he watched his grandfather pass from the disease and swore he wouldn’t linger if it ever struck him. It did and he didn’t. His wife and kids were not caught by surprise when he took his own life, so I guess that’s good. 

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories