Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket at 225 for how long?

Hello everyone, I have a early bbq party tomorrow and just for fun I want to do a very long brisket cook (bragging rights) I've done many turbo brisket methods at 300 degrees and now I want to slow it down.

I'm reading at 225 it can take around 24 hours for a 18lbs brisket to cook, so I'm planning on putting it on my bbq at noon today and hopefully by noon tomorrow it'll be done and rested for a good amount of time. 

I'm wondering if anyone has done a brisket for this long and how did it go? I have a flameboss 500 for my bbq so this long cook doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the reply.

Comments

• I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but, thought I would share my story. Some years ago, I cooked my first brisket and I did some important things wrong. First, I bought a 17 lb. brisket for my large egg and had to squish it to fit like an accordion to get it to fit Second, I did not wrap it, which I have since come to appreciate as essential. Third, I expected it to finish at 20 hours (silly me) but it took 23. Not much time to rest once the guests arrived, and cause for great panic throughout the stall and the last of the cook. I had no fingernails left. 

The conditions outside were perfect for a 225 cook, September, steady temperature, no wind. The egg stayed within a few degrees all night and the next day. It was good meat (Black Angus). All of which I believe to have been my saving grace. 

Though late, it was voted 'best brisket ever' by my guests. I can't help but wonder if that was partly due to starvation. But, I'll take it. 

Good luck and remember a mistake or two along the way does not mean disaster. Have fun!
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    I'm happy you remembered it took 23 hours, the internet is saying the same. Ibwas going to put it on at 6pm today but since people are coming over at noon tomorrow I said I'd give myself a little more wiggle room.

I'm putting mine on at noon and letting it run for up to 24 hours.

When you wrapped it did you turn up the temp or leave it at 225? 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I have learned to pretend the party starts about 5 hours earlier.  That way, I always get some FTC time before the guests arrive.  They miss the beauty of pulling it off the egg, but they eat when we planned and the Brisket always benefits from some time alone with itself in the cooler, wrapped in a towel.  After all, who wouldn't?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Also, 225°F is fun and all, but not totally necessary.  I run it at 250/275 ish and it gets through the stall easier.  You just have to watch it close as it gets near the finish line.  But, I don't have patience for 225.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    I plan for 1.5hrs/lb at 225F.   It usually comes off sooner but the stall and low temp are a factor.   If it finishes sooner, cool.   Just wrap and cooler it.  

Love going low and slow.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Mr1egg
    Ya I'll be wrapping and putting it in the cooler as soon as it's done, I plan to let it rest for a few hours also. I'm just not sure if I should turn up the temp when wrapped? I have the time to wait so I'll just leave it at 225. 

I always do mine at 300 and they turn out great but I've wanted to do this for a while and I got a chance now.

Friends from work told me to max out my bbq and they will help pay for the food so I'm doing a 18lbs brisket 6 racks of ribs and about 12 sausages.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    One more endorsement for aiming to finish within 2-6 hours (FTC hold window) prior to serve on demand.  Running that low  you have the luxury of dialing up the temp if you need to to power it home or the foil or BP wrap to assist.  
    Enjoy the cook and all the audibles that can come along.  
    Always remember, "The cow drives the cook."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mr1egg
    Ya I've turned up the temp a few times to hurry it up before it finishes but I'm trying to avoid that this time lol. 

Not looking forward to waking up in the middle of the night to wrap it and put back on considering where I live it should be around -20 outside at that point. 
  • In answer to your question, when I wrap it, I leave it at the same temperature I started at. My last cook was at 250, and I left it at 250 when I wrapped it. Hope this helps.
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Let us know how it turns out. I’ve always done brisket at 275 (Franklin method) and it’s so good that I’m scared to try anything else. That being said, the big negative is that I usually have to get up at about 4 or 5am to get everything going which makes it very tempting to try a lower temp.
  • Mr1egg
    I used to do 250 or 275 but just like you I woke up at 5 to have the meat on at 6am. Turned out good but once I started upping the temp to 300 and having more rest time I couldn't go back to 250. 
  • lousubcap
    Looks like you are having quite a crowd based on the proteins alone.  Good luck pulling it all together although I'm sure you have done this before.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mr1egg
    Thank you, ya I've had big cooks before but never had 40lbs of meat at the side time cooking.

My work friends told me to max out my bbq so they can take food home so I'm doing as they please. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a theory that, at a given temp, a kamado will cook low and slow food slower than a stick burner.  That’s because the gas flow rate through the stick burner is massive compared to the kamado.  Contrast cooking times in recipes - where you have convection ovens, cooking time is reduced at a given temp or the same at a lower temp.  The stick burner is a convection oven.  The kamado has humidity working in its favor, but the convection effect from the stick burner is a much stronger influence than the humidity of the kamado.

in effect, time temp weight calculations are specific for the type of equipment used.
    Ya I agree I gave myself an extra 6 hours today just incase it takes longer then expected. Even when I wake up tomorrow if it's not where near my finish temp I'll turn it up to 250 or 275 but we'll see.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Mr1egg said:
    Hello everyone, I have a early bbq party tomorrow and just for fun I want to do a very long brisket cook (bragging rights) I've done many turbo brisket methods at 300 degrees and now I want to slow it down.

I'm reading at 225 it can take around 24 hours for a 18lbs brisket to cook, so I'm planning on putting it on my bbq at noon today and hopefully by noon tomorrow it'll be done and rested for a good amount of time. 

I'm wondering if anyone has done a brisket for this long and how did it go? I have a flameboss 500 for my bbq so this long cook doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the reply.
    Are you planning to wrap to push through the stall, or just let it ride? The time will be highly dependent on that.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mr1egg
    I plan to wrap right when it hits 150
  • Quite an endeavor. Let us know how it turns out. With pics!
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    I have a theory that, at a given temp, a kamado will cook low and slow food slower than a stick burner.  That’s because the gas flow rate through the stick burner is massive compared to the kamado.  Contrast cooking times in recipes - where you have convection ovens, cooking time is reduced at a given temp or the same at a lower temp.  The stick burner is a convection oven.  The kamado has humidity working in its favor, but the convection effect from the stick burner is a much stronger influence than the humidity of the kamado.

in effect, time temp weight calculations are specific for the type of equipment used.
    That has been my experience, now that I've cooked couple of briskets and a pork butt over Christmas in the Traeger which is essentially a convection oven.
    canuckland
  • Mr1egg
    KimberlyO said:
    Quite an endeavor. Let us know how it turns out. With pics!
    I will take and post many pics, this one going down in the history books for me.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

That has been my experience, now that I've cooked couple of briskets and a pork butt over Christmas in the Traeger which is essentially a convection oven.
    Good point.  Pellet poopers are like stick burners and diesel engines….power is determined by the amount of fuel you add.  Air is not controlling anything like a kamado.
    Sooooooo the cook didn't really go as expected but it's still going strong. I started it at 225 at noon but the brisket temp was rising very quickly and when it was time for bed I thought it would of finished too fast so I lowered the temp to 180 and went to bed.

Woke up at 2am it was around 150 and I wrapped it and set my temp to 250. Woke up again in the morning and she's arihnd 170 now.

Planned on having brisket on the top shelf and ribs on the bottom rib rack but it wasn't even close to fitting that way. Had to improvise and get everything on the bbq one way or another. It's not pretty but it's working.

• It's on the grill! keep on trucking'! 
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • by the way, great looking meat! what did you rub the ribs with?
    O'Fallon, MO - LBGE 2015
  • Mr1egg
    It's smoking along, I've tried so many different rib rubs and my all time favorite is from bulk barn and its simply called rib rub. It's a tiny big spicy and goes so good woth ribs.
  • lousubcap
    As long as you nail the finish feel it doesn't matter the audibles it took to get there.  Way to improvise.  
    As you well know briskets have a way of getting rolling right quickly before the slow down into the stall.  
    Great eats await.  
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Nothing wrong with that at all—Yankee Ingenuity. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.