Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now that THAT'S settled...

Since I finally got my replacement firebox from Ace, on to my next two questions for you old grizzled vets out there:  Why does my firebox keep breaking in the first place?  I've had my egg since 2019, and this is the second time I've had to replace it.  Both times, it cracked in two places.  For as much $$ I spent on this grill, I wouldn't expect to have to replace a major part like that every 2 years. 

I live in Florida, so not like I'm going between hot and cold weather. The grill is under my patio overhang and covered to boot. I do use it a lot (3-4 times per week).  Any ideas? 

Second question: I went ahead and replaced the gasket while I was doing maintenance...no problems there, but is there a special gasket for the chimney, or just use any left over gasket I have from the gasket kit?

Thanks!
Maitland, FL
XL BGE since 2019

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    You can get ten years out of a two piece fire box
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Just chalk it up to bad luck. I live in a similar, warm, humid climate. Iv’e replaced fireboxes maybe 10 times over the last 20+ years. But on 4 different Eggs of different sizes. As well as a few bases and fire rings. This is why the warranty is important.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • briwald said:
    … Second question: I went ahead and replaced the gasket while I was doing maintenance...no problems there, but is there a special gasket for the chimney, or just use any left over gasket I have from the gasket kit?

Thanks!
    No special gasket for the chimney - just use the left over for it. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    What can cause it to crack? Here's some thoughts:

1) Defective, already had a micro-crack or air bubble in it, and expansion just finishes it.
    2) It has no room to expand .... how? Maybe coal bits get in between the shell and firebox?? Although I'd expect the coal to be crushed ... but just look for ways it is restricted in terms of being able to expand.
    3) Heating it up too fast ... are you lighting a fire right against the firebox band?

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

1) Defective, already had a micro-crack or air bubble in it, and expansion just finishes it.
    2) It has no room to expand .... how? Maybe coal bits get in between the shell and firebox?? Although I'd expect the coal to be crushed ... but just look for ways it is restricted in terms of being able to expand.
    3) Heating it up too fast ... are you lighting a fire right against the firebox band?

Don’t forget uneven heating of ceramic, thermal shock and puppies tied to the Nest(tm), which can be devastating. 
    edited February 2023
    Not suggesting this is the case with OP... I've seen some strong fellas lifting XL platesetter by the leg single handedly, wonder if they also lift the firebox as carelessly. Given the XL firebox mass, its expansion slit, and my weak hands, I always worry about breaking it when taking it out once in a blue moon.
    canuckland
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103

Hmmmmm.  I went from an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker to the BGE, and I never changed my lighting method.  Make sure there's a nice bed of charcoal, and then fill a chimney starter with charcoal.  After 15 minutes, the coals in the chimney are hot and the coals beneath the chimney are also hot.  I suppose that could be too much too fast.  Funnily enough, when I picked up the new firebox, I also got the electric coil starter, so maybe I'll have better luck with that. 

Thanks all for the advice/suggestions.
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Mine has been cracked from day 2 over 10 years ago… I was pissed at first but it works despite the crack so I try not to lose too much sleep over that.