Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Precut Lollipops

Anyone use these from Wally World?  Just picked up a bag for later in the week. Will see if the slight extra cost is worth it. Also the quality. What the heck.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I've never prepped or eaten drums cut like that.   Are they really easier to eat?  I'm interested to see how they turn out. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    If I ever found drumsticks already prepped for lollipops, I would definitely give 'em a go.  
    Looking forward to the review.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That’s very cool!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Legume said:
    I've never prepped or eaten drums cut like that.   Are they really easier to eat?  I'm interested to see how they turn out. 
    I think they are easier, cleaner and more pleasant to eat. I’m not one for gimmicky hacks, but this one has always been a crowd pleaser. Kids especially like them. I usually spend a few extra minutes to snip away the tendons and that one annoying sharp bone. Will be interesting to see how well these are prepped once they thaw out. If decent, these might be on the agenda for my kids’ birthday party.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Might be my rotisserie basket Super Bowl cook…

looking forward to the report! Thanks!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Thanks for the post!  I'll be looking for these in this 1 horse town  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    never been a fan of drums but this seems to solve the very reasons I don't like them.  Might be worth taking them for a spin
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
     lollipops are great but I like the butterflied legs even better. Not as pretty but easier to prep and more surface area as well as easiest to eat. I would definitely try the pre prepped lollipops for sure though. No question. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Interesting. Are they pre-seasoned?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Lollipops absolutely suck to prep. For the price and being frozen it's easy to look past for the time you save. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dyal_SC
    We will see!  

@caliking , nossir, just the brine preservative. Will likely dust these with baking powder and something not too salty. Then dunk/glaze them toward the end. Like big wings. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    This going to be a really stupid question:

can I put these in the rotisserie basket still frozen? 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Legume

This is going to be a really stupider question. Why would you freeze your rotisserie basket?
  • Dyal_SC

I dunno.  I’d imagine you’d want to season them though before cooking them from frozen. Have mine in the fridge thawing now. The handles look pretty far trimmed down, so I might push down on the meat some to expose more of the bone once they thaw and before tossing them on.  Will cook them either tomorrow night or Thursday. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Legume said:

This is going to be a really stupider question. Why would you freeze your rotisserie basket?
    Wouldn’t expect anything less from you…
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume said:

Wouldn’t expect anything less from you…
    I think this is like when people say "I could care less" but they really mean "I couldn't care less" like they care so little now, it would only be possible to care more.  Is that what you meant?  You wouldn't expect anything more from me?  It would just be impossible to expect more than this, from me?
  • Why season them it clearly says on the bag “Real Chicken Real Flavor”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dyal_SC
    Why season them it clearly says on the bag “Real Chicken Real Flavor”
    Got me there! 
  • Dyal_SC
    Can already tell a no from me. Tendons and junk undertrimmed (none at all) and bone over cut and sunken. Don’t feel like messing with them tonight. Will dry them out overnight, trim them the best I can and cook tomorrow. Looks like all they did was run a blade through the bone and froze them up. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Thanks for the feedback.  If it sounds too good to be true...
    Sorry to read.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Possibly a way to re brand and sell the legs that were damaged during normal processing? 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dyal_SC
    Photo Egg said:
    Possibly a way to re brand and sell the legs that were damaged during normal processing? 
    Maybe. I don’t know but they ain’t pretty. Lol  Will likely just fry them up and call it a day. Probably still snip the tendons out a bit with the kitchen scissors. 

Will have to give that butterfly method a go at some point too. Been wanting to try that for awhile. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Well that’s a bummer. Looks like they just lopped off the ends of the drumsticks and called it done. 

I say butterfly the ones you have. Call them chicken drumstick hearts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dangit. 

Thanks for the report. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Those resemble chicken hand grenades as opposed to lollipops. 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    With wings in high demand they are looking for ways to improve the margin on legs and make them more appealing to someone in that mood. Oh well, too bad we couldn’t get the R@D team on zoom and get them straightened out.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    sometimes losing the handle is not a bad thing  ;)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Someone has to be first.  Maybe others will try this and shoot for higher quality once this crashes and burns for Walmart.