Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Headed to Pensacola

Options
TideEggHead
TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
edited January 2023 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, SWMBO wanted to get away with the kids and go camping this weekend, so we are headed to Pensacola (Ft. Pickens) with some friends.  I am not sure how much we will eat out over the weekend since we mostly cook at the camper but we plan on hitting at least one place while in town. We don't frequent Pensacola much, we normally are in Gulf Shores, Destin, Grayton or PC so I am not versed in the restaurant options. The default plan is to go to flounders for an early dinner one night. Y'all got some other suggestions? It's supposed to rain Sunday so we may eat out more than once.

Who knows what else we will get into down there, the kids are 3 and 12. I am bringing some fishing gear even though winter is usually slow.
LBGE
AL

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @travisstrick lives in Pensacola.  Not sure he’s still on here, I haven’t talked to him in months.
    Options
    Grab a pack of artificial shrimp lures and some jig heads. Maybe a popping cork. Be sure to print out size and bag limits and get a temporary license.
  • TideEggHead
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead I might try to message him!

@Gulfcoastguy I get an annual FL license each year. The plan right now is whiting and maybe pompano but I may see if the flounder are biting too.
    LBGE
    AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My buddy caught a bunch of Pompano in the gulf (rigs) last week.  Pompano like 70-80F water.  I think it might be a little cold although a sunny day may drive them into the surf and that can be some fun fishing.  

Pompano make for great sushi/sashimi.
    Options
    No help here other than now I have a serious craving for Commander Dave’s shrimp from The Sandbar in PCB
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Peg leg petes
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TideEggHead
    Options
    My buddy caught a bunch of Pompano in the gulf (rigs) last week.  Pompano like 70-80F water.  I think it might be a little cold although a sunny day may drive them into the surf and that can be some fun fishing.  

Pompano make for great sushi/sashimi.
    Man now you have me craving some pompano! That all looks delicious. Had to pull some out of the freezer tonight for a sandwich.

LBGE
    AL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of most of the food on the island (or in Gulf Breeze for that matter), but Sidelines (across 98 from Flounder's) has good wings and serviceable sports bar food.

Water Pig BBQ was very good when it opened, but I understand it's gone way downhill since.  Felix's (from NOLA) has good oysters, but the rest of their food is marginal and overpriced.  NOLA cafe (or something) next door has better NOLA classics and usually a line for brunch.  Peg Leg's (on the Ft Pickens side is decent. 

There are several good restaurants in Pensacola proper, but it's about 30 minutes each way from Ft Pickens.
    NOLA
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Thanks fellas, I’ll add Peg Legs to the short list with Felix’s we love oysters!
    LBGE
    AL
  • gonepostal
    Options
    Orange Beach/Gulf Shores is the norm for us, but we have been hitting up Pensacola some recently for short trips. 

We usually hit Papa's pizza for a meal. Small venue so we normally pick an odd hour to get a seat inside. NY style. We both really like the pizza. 

No complaints with either Peg leg Pete's or Sidelines sports bar.  But you will have to decide if that works with the little ones. Obviously, the later the rowdier. 

Also, since you guy's are planning on cooking a ton, maybe swing by Joe Patti's and the Butcher Shoppe.  2 must stops for me. I'll hit these up even when I'm staying at the Alabama beaches. 

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Good stuff @gonepostal I have also heard about Joe Patti's, I'm going to try and fit it in the wife's schedule.
    LBGE
    AL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited January 2023
    Options
    If you have time check out The Butcher Shoppe. Great place with a great meat selection. 

Edit: Didn’t realize postal mentioned it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    I highly recommend McGuire's Irish Pub. It is a bit touristy, but really good.
    Want to have a little fun?...order the McGuire's Terrible Garbage Burger.
  • TideEggHead
    Options

Is that like the one located in Destin?
    LBGE
    AL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2023
    Options

Is that like the one located in Destin?

The same (although I think Pensacola is the original).  It's fine, but not worth a special trip, IMO.
    NOLA
  • EggDeacon
    EggDeacon Posts: 3
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It's going to be cold here in Pensacola this weekend.  Indoor eating - Grouper sandwich at Sidelines Sports Bar at the beach, anything at Peg Leg Pete's, for local flavor O'Brian's Bistro on Bayou Blvd near Cordova Mall - nice variety, great service, local chef and owner.  Five Sisters Blues Cafe - Belmont St for down home country flair with upscale menu; Captain Joey Patti's Seafood Restaurant - Garden Street, downtown - a favorite of locals, try grouper bytes, seafood gumbo - eat in or take out.  At the beach - Native Kitchen, 45A Via deLuna, great breakfast place!    Just a few suggestions of Pensacola's many great restaurants.  Enjoy your visit to Pensacola, "The Western gate to the Sunshine State where thousands live the lifestyle millions wish they could." (Former Mayor Vince Whibbs)

I second the recommendation of The Butcher Shoppe for meats, great service, top quality and knowledgeable butchers, and Big Green Egg aficionados.  Escambia Electric Motor Co, 1101 West Man St, Pensacola is great BGE dealer. 
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Thank you for the thorough breakdown @EggDeacon. I think the plan is to probably hit Peg Leg Pete’s one day while we are here. We may take the kids to the Naval museum too if it rains all day Sunday, either way we will have a good time!
    LBGE
    AL