Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Beef Ribs - First time

Kmm
Kmm Posts: 54
Greetings from the UK

Im looking to ….. see below pic !smoke a couple of 4 rib racks of short beef rib 

I’m assuming 230f until 195c cooked temperature with a salt and pepper rub

Question: Do I need to foil them ?

Either way, what kind of cooking time am I looking at 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Welcome from the Yank side.  Your cook temp (230*f) will work but I prefer to run them in the 260-280*F range.  S&P works well.  I use worstershire as a binder but clearly optional.
    For the finish-use a toothpick and check for the feel in the thick part of the rib meat and between the bones.  No resistance and you are there-likely around 200*F+/-.  Cook time can roll from around 4 1/2 to over 6 hrs. 
    BTW-scroll down the front page of threads and you will see one about a "Zoom/Speakeasy" session happening on Friday 12/30.  That session intentionally will kick off at 5 PM/10 PM (EST/GMT) to enable you guys from your side of the pond to participate.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Listen to @lousubcap , unless I a
    m misunderstanding your temps 195c cooked temp is , well, way overdone…think you meant 195 f….. welcome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kmm
    lkapigian said:
    m misunderstanding your temps 195c cooked temp is , well, way overdone…think you meant 195 f….. welcome 
    Indeed I do 😂😂😂

when are you guys gonna get with the metric system !

• Kmm
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome from the Yank side.  Your cook temp (230*f) will work but I prefer to run them in the 260-280*F range.  S&P works well.  I use worstershire as a binder but clearly optional.
    For the finish-use a toothpick and check for the feel in the thick part of the rib meat and between the bones.  No resistance and you are there-likely around 200*F+/-.  Cook time can roll from around 4 1/2 to over 6 hrs. 
    BTW-scroll down the front page of threads and you will see one about a "Zoom/Speakeasy" session happening on Friday 12/30.  That session intentionally will kick off at 5 PM/10 PM (EST/GMT) to enable you guys from your side of the pond to participate.  FWIW-
    Thanks so no foil then ?

I meant 195f as a cooked temp 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Kmm said:
    lkapigian said:
    Indeed I do 😂😂😂

Lol, I’m 100% metric when it comes to charcuterie 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    @Kmm
    - Understand your plight concerning metric but what about this?
    - Not wanting to start anything and understand you are in the UK but my wife was sniffing around a Buche De Noel recipe online today and this table appeared.  

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    edited December 2022
    I agree with everything Lou says above. I will add, I like to pull the membrane off of the bone side before rubbing. Salt & pepper or any good brisket rub will do. I also trim off any hard fat pre rub. I have never wrapped in foil. Let them ride until roughly 200 degrees or probe tender. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Kmm
    lousubcap said:n
    Love to here Americans try to say Worcestershire Sauce 😂😂😂😂
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Kmm said:j
    lkapigian said:
    Indeed I do 😂😂😂

Right after we dump “Daylight Savings Time”…lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Kmm said:

—————-—————-
    We have been told for decades we would migrate to the metric system.   Most of us get the metric system but just don’t want to live in it.  But I hear where you are coming from.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    You mean Worcestershire is not pronounced Wor cester shire...? Who knew!  B)

And in keeping with the "learn something new dang near every day here"...
    Here you go-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPerqGHwj3k
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome! I’m also a UK based Egger. That picture is from Turner and George’s website, great butchers. I’ve bought from them before. I don’t wrap them when I cook them. I’ve got a post on my food blog describing the cook https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/01/12/slow-cooked-beef-short-ribs/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Kmm
    Welcome! I’m also a UK based Egger. That picture is from Turner and George’s website, great butchers. I’ve bought from them before. I don’t wrap them when I cook them. I’ve got a post on my food blog describing the cook https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/01/12/slow-cooked-beef-short-ribs/
    Well spotted 

someone me great meat on there 
  • Kmm
    Should say “Some great meat on there !”
  • Kmm
    lousubcap said:

Here you go-
    Actually people in the UK just say “Wooster” when it’s the sauce, the “oo” sounding like the “ou” in would.

Next ! Leicester !
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Kmm said:
    lousubcap said:

Here you go-
    Actually people in the UK just say “Wooster” when it’s the sauce, the “oo” sounding like the “ou” in would.

Next ! Leicester !
    Just like the city in Massachusetts then?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Kmm said:
    lousubcap said:n
    Love to hear Americans try to say Worcestershire Sauce 😂😂😂😂
    I like to say "Worcestershire sauce" immediately following my annual July 4th reading of the Declaration of Independence.

All good advice about beef ribs!  Especially the part about pulling them before 383°F!

Some good eating awaits!  Let us know what you think!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ^^^😂😂😂
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Don't use that ounce-gram conversion chart if you value accuracy. An ounce is 28.350 grams, 2 ounces are 56.50 grams, etc.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    lousubcap said:
    Uhmmm, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Except that I use mayonnaise as a binder when I cook a plate of beef ribs to avoid them getting too salty ... worstershire sounds good though!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!