Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRAND NEW X LARGE EGG

Options
Hi - I just got a brand new XL.  My other egg is 24 years old and I am treating myself to NEW.  Should I do an initial "burn" without food?  Please offer some advice.  Thanks!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Just run her at 400 for an hour. 
    Congratulations on your new baby. 
    Maybe soap and water on your cooking grate first wouldn’t hurt.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 2BitsRanch
    Options
    @Photo Egg thank you!  I may be posting new questions as I get "used" to this new baby.  My 24 year old large is like an old shoe.  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I trust you are keeping your old egg, and presume it is smaller than an XL. I think you'll find some things are easier on the smaller egg.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Hi - I just got a brand new XL.  My other egg is 24 years old and I am treating myself to NEW.  Should I do an initial "burn" without food?  Please offer some advice.  Thanks!
    Do not burn in hot! You will screw up the gasket ... read the instructions ... I think 350F to 400F (max) is good for the initial burn.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • 2BitsRanch
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg!  You are on the right spot for advice.  There are some amazing cooks on here.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Beautiful 
    You will love the extra grill space on the XL. 
    Check into Ceramic Grill Store for a Woo Ring or Adjustable Rig.
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/xl-big-green-egg-accessories

I second the CGS recommendation. I added CGS accessories to my Christmas list.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Welcome to the madness here!
    I also recently brought an XL 
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Nice rig.  As you are aware, the basics are all the same.  Just upsize them.  Glad you have stepped out of the "shadows" . 
    With 24 years I'm sure you have experienced it all.  Feel free to share lessons learned as we are all looking to improve our Q game.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I just smoked some spare ribs for the first cook on mine.