Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EcoGreen Lighter Fluid

Options
Thoughts on the non-petroleum lighter fluid? It’s vegetable oil based. I bought some but want to get your thoughts before I try it.
 https://escogo.com/charcoal-lighter-fluid/ecogreen-charcoal-lighter/
McKinney, TX

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    In the propane torch or starter cube camp here.  For those wanting a liquid fire starter, what does this offer price/performance wise over isopropyl alcohol?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    In the propane torch or starter cube camp here.  For those wanting a liquid fire starter, what does this offer price/performance wise over isopropyl alcohol?
    Alcohol tends to evaporate and burn off whereas the oil soaks in and is more likely get the fire going?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Grease from bacon or sausage soaked in a paper towel is free. Works under a chimney or in a pile of lump. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    dbCooper said:
     +1. Also, if its vegetable oil-based, why not just use a paper towel soaked in veg oil?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    caliking said:
    dbCooper said:
     +1. Also, if its vegetable oil-based, why not just use a paper towel soaked in veg oil?

this is my method, i stop using the veg oil for cooking when it starts to smell off like window putty. its then used for fire starting with a paper towel
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It works just like cooking oil, but I don't think you're going to like the smell and smoke.  I still like the propane torch method myself.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    It works just like cooking oil, but I don't think you're going to like the smell and smoke.  I still like the propane torch method myself.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Options
    I use a torch, but gotta protect the eyes from sparks and make sure nothing easily flammable nearby too.....pile of leaves for example. 

I pass on the fluids and gels, found them hard to tell if burning or not.  

t