Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellet smokers. Yay or nay?

1235»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    Kind of been out of it for a while. Had property repairs to wrap up after the storm, then fell and got strep infection in my artificial knee joints. After having those removed, spacers put in and 18 weeks of IV antibiotics, new prosthesis were installed, after being in immobilizing braces for months had to learn to walk again.  In strength therapy now.  It pretty much sucked to be me for the last 18 months.  Oh yeah, just got over C19 for the second time also.
    Damn dude! I sure hope you’re on the up and up. Sorry for all you have been through.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,577
    @Photo Egg Those ABT's look incredible.  Way to nail the cook.
    BTW- I'm in with the cheap store cut bacon for anything where I wrap.  I pour over the offerings to find the package(s) without that dreaded notch on one side.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,119
    lousubcap said:
    @Photo Egg Those ABT's look incredible.  Way to nail the cook.
    BTW- I'm in with the cheap store cut bacon for anything where I wrap.  I pour over the offerings to find the package(s) without that dreaded notch on one side.  
    Ha Ha…I look to avoid same notch, but have learned to wrap in a way to tuck the notch as an anchor on ABTs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kind of been out of it for a while. Had property repairs to wrap up after the storm, then fell and got strep infection in my artificial knee joints. After having those removed, spacers put in and 18 weeks of IV antibiotics, new prosthesis were installed, after being in immobilizing braces for months had to learn to walk again.  In strength therapy now.  It pretty much sucked to be me for the last 18 months.  Oh yeah, just got over C19 for the second time also.
    Holy crap. Better days ahead. Glad to see you back. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,693
    Have two and hopefully they both die tomorrow. After all the years with Eggs no comparison (imo). 
    Also a real pain to clean. 
    Not recommend 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• I’m all about the kamado but my recteq pellet grill is so much more convenient on weekdays. Not sure about the hard to clean comments. It’s easier to clean than dismantling and reassembling the new style fire box in my kamado Joe. Literally 5 minute job to remove grates and vacuum ash out. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    edited November 2022
    How often are you vacuuming ash out of your Kamado Joe?  I go 10+ cooks (at least) before cleaning out my BGE XL. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • About the same. I probably should vacuum the pellet grill more often but it’s usually around every 10 cooks with it too.