Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall weather = Potato Soup

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
edited October 2022 in EggHead Forum
Got this gem of a recipe off of tik tok. Only social media platform I look at these days other than this forum. Good stuff. Boys said “yuck” though. Lol. Sliced up, buttered up and toasted up some Publix french bread to go with. And made some Alfredo with basil and oregano to dip the bread in. The boys at least liked the bread but the soup was awesome for the adults in my family. I added in extra cream cheese. *edit*..also use a potato smasher to thicken it a bit more. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Looks great from here. One drink short 😂
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dyal_SC
    Looks great from here. One drink short 😂
    Mine was on the counter. 😂 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Yummy!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2022
    That soup is a winner. Nice job.

On another note. Looks Iike we may have the exact same fridge. Damn icemaker keeps freezing. I hate the P.O.S. but I digress.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Dyal_SC
    ksmyrl said:
    That soup is a winner. Nice job.

On another note. Looks Iike we may have the exact same fridge. Damn icemaker keeps freezing. I hate the P.O.S. but I digress.
    Lol. Have the same problem myself about once per year. Disassemble it and thaw out the coils on the back of the ice maker with a hairdryer. And also I use a butter knife to knock off the frozen pieces too. There’s a YouTube about it. Always a sheet of ice somewhere back there keeping it from producing. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Not sure I agree with putting corn in a potato soup - seems more corn chowder-ish.  Should just be:
    potatoes, onion, milk/cream, butter/flour rue, salt+pepper. 
    Then "toppings" are: crispy homemade bacon - crumbled and a good cheddar cheese and scallions. 
    One of my favorites - and typically Christmas Eve dinner. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    onedbguru said:
    Not sure I agree with putting corn in a potato soup - seems more corn chowder-ish.  Should just be:
    Then "toppings" are: crispy homemade bacon - crumbled and a good cheddar cheese and scallions. 

@onedbguru
    Maybe you should start your own potato chowder thread.  Or start a potato chowder throw down and be clear on the rules.  We haven’t had a throw down on here in a while.
  • Dyal_SC
    onedbguru said:

Lol. My apologies. Maybe I should have called it something different. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Love me some tater soup. Gawjus
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dyal_SC
    Langner91 said:
    I have a fondness for potato soup.  My father immigrated to this country from Germany after WWII.  He always talks about the hardships he endured while trying to escape post-war Germany (now Poland).  One of the few fond memories he talks about is his sister's potato soup.  He said of all the potato soup he has ever had, none compares.  He still orders it whenever he hears it is the soup of the day, hoping to find a soup that triggers his memory of her potato soup.

When we visited her a few years ago, she was 93 and he was 80.  I asked her if she remembered the potato soup that she made in Germany, assuming she would pull out an old slip of paper with the holy grail of potato soup recipes on it.

Instead, she started to sob.  I asked If I had said something wrong. She told me all they had was potatoes and water, so she told him it was potato soup.  He was so hungry, he thought it was the best thing he ever ate.  Funny how the mind works.

Yours looks a lot better than his favorite!
    @Langner91 , I feel for your family. Sorry they had to go through that. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @Langner91 what a cool story. Thanks for sharing. Many of us have no idea do we? I have a similar story about meeting one of Doolittle's Raiders a few years ago. But I'm already close to hijacking @Dyal_SC thread. Another time. 

Potato soup on Christmas eve...that actually sounds awesome. We generally have home made BGE pizzas. But I like the soup idea. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Langner91 said:
    When we visited her a few years ago, she was 93 and he was 80.  I asked her if she remembered the potato soup that she made in Germany, assuming she would pull out an old slip of paper with the holy grail of potato soup recipes on it.

Instead, she started to sob.  I asked If I had said something wrong. She told me all they had was potatoes and water, so she told him it was potato soup.  He was so hungry, he thought it was the best thing he ever ate.  Funny how the mind works.
    Damn.  
    Thank you for sharing.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Most touching, thanks for sharing.
    Codfish