Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Smoked Pork Butt with Peach Preserves

Options
13»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @YukonRon I'm probably a year out at the rate I'm going before I'm ready to have it stripped, painted, tinkered with, and up to snuff. 

@northGAcock My grandma didn't make me a peach cobbler. B+ was being generous.  ;)
    Hope to hook up before then. I might be able to help, if all things work out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    I’m trying this tonight.  I seasoned with Dizzy Dust and then slathered with peach preserves.  I’m going to let it ride at 225 tonight, then I’m thinking that when I get up I might wrap it in foil with some peach nectar poured in and let that go for another few hours until I hit my temp.  We’re not eating it until dinner time, so then I’d FTC.  Does that sound okay?
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding peach preserves all of a sudden. Nobody has it in the stores. I guess peaches are high risk for Covid....
  • attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding peach preserves all of a sudden. Nobody has it in the stores. I guess peaches are high risk for Covid....
    I found some this morning for RIBS (Food Lion in N. Georgia). Maybe the word is getting out!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Peach preserves are scarce where I go. Best of luck, word has definitely gotten out.

Was at a customers facility, invited to their pot luck. They served peach butt, the guy that made it, said he got the recipe off the BGE forum.

Kinda felt good that others use this recipe.

I hope you enjoy it too.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Started the brining process tonight for my Peach Butt going on tomorrow. 
    I used:
    12 oz Picking Salt
    About 8 oz or 3/4 Cup Molasses 
    2 Quarts of mineral free, or bottled water.
    Mix together until dissolved in the liquid.
    Pour into a covered container large enough to hold the liquid and the meat.
    Add Butt and submerge, place in fridge (if you can't submerge turn over every 4-6 hours or so) for minimum 8-12 hours. (I have left mine in for much longer with no issues)
    We will see what happens.
    I’ve got a pork butt soaking in this exact mixture right now.  I’m going to do everything with peach and do an overnight cook so that I can serve lunch to some friends from NC coming up to see us tomorrow.  Can’t wait!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Started the brining process tonight for my Peach Butt going on tomorrow. 
    I used:
    12 oz Picking Salt
    About 8 oz or 3/4 Cup Molasses 
    2 Quarts of mineral free, or bottled water.
    Mix together until dissolved in the liquid.
    Pour into a covered container large enough to hold the liquid and the meat.
    Add Butt and submerge, place in fridge (if you can't submerge turn over every 4-6 hours or so) for minimum 8-12 hours. (I have left mine in for much longer with no issues)
    We will see what happens.
    I’ve got a pork butt soaking in this exact mixture right now.  I’m going to do everything with peach and do an overnight cook so that I can serve lunch to some friends from NC coming up to see us tomorrow.  Can’t wait!
    If you need any help just let me know. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Friend of mine did one on the EZ Bake oven. Told me it was the best thing he has ever cooked in his life.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Thanks, Ron!  Right now, I’m just getting it out of the bath while I stabilize the Egg.  All systems go so far!
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    I can’t believe what a difference the brining made!  This is my go to method from now on.  Thanks again!

• YukonRon
    Options
    Jcl5150 said:
    I can’t believe what a difference the brining made!  This is my go to method from now on.  Thanks again!

Sorry I did not get back sooner. I have been traveling on vacation, we are up in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. 

I can’t emphasize enough how important brining is to pork or poultry, prior to putting on the egg.

Your picture looks perfect. Be sure to pass it on.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Cheers Gents

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Pork tenderloin, brined for 6 hours, slow smoked with maple, using a maple rub.I had to use a gas grill, which made it a bit more difficult to work with. The place we are staying had this only option.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Friday morning @ YukonRon style!

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Friday morning @ YukonRon style!

Living the dream! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I am going to do one when I get back home from vacation.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Getting ready to do another this weekend. Going to try a chipotle and black raspberry glaze. See what happens.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jek
    Jek Posts: 37
    Options
    Just dropped the butt in the brine this morning.  Friday cook.  Saturday game day tailgate.
    Small BGE // Wisconsin
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @Jek    

I think once you try this, it may become a go to for future cooks.
    Good Luck and enjoy!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jek
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Jek    

I think once you try this, it may become a go to for future cooks.
    Good Luck and enjoy!
    This will be my third.  I'm a convert.
    Small BGE // Wisconsin
  • Jek
    Options
    Might have to do it with apricot...can't find peach.  @YukonRon ever have to call an audible like this or are you always stocked up?
    Small BGE // Wisconsin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Jek said:
    Might have to do it with apricot...can't find peach.  @YukonRon ever have to call an audible like this or are you always stocked up?
    I’ve used apricot and I’ve used orange marmalade on pork.  Both work well.
  • Jek
    Options
    Apricot it is...
    Small BGE // Wisconsin
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I buy peach preserves whenever I see them. I keep a pretty good stock. Apricot works, apple jelly works, orange workdays does pineapple.

Post some pics so we can see. 

Thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Options
    Taking a bath getting ready for tonight’s smoke!  Peach butt is the best butt!