Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked sausage tiempos

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Been forever since I’ve smoked some sticks on the egg. So long, I’ve forgotten how long I smoke them for. These ones are fresh and about a solid 1/3 of a pound a piece(chorizo, greek chicken, chicken pesto, Lithuanians and sweet Italian). 2 hours at 250? I do remember I always liked to cook ‘em till about 200 internal - That was fine. Also I’ve got 10 of them and think cooking them on the CGS D grate should put them at the right height. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    no wrong way as it will be smokey no matter, but a "smoked sausage" is done for hours starting low 100-120 gradually bumping every hour till you reach an IT of 145-150 ish, quick chill store or reheat.........this will get you better particle definition and a snappy casing ......a sausage you can later add to dishes for flavoring........just cook them gently no matter, people tend to cook sausage way to hot and fast ..........My 2 Cents 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Powak said:
    Been forever since I’ve smoked some sticks on the egg. So long, I’ve forgotten how long I smoke them for. These ones are fresh and about a solid 1/3 of a pound a piece(chorizo, greek chicken, chicken pesto, Lithuanians and sweet Italian). 2 hours at 250? I do remember I always liked to cook ‘em till about 200 internal - That was fine. Also I’ve got 10 of them and think cooking them on the CGS D grate should put them at the right height. 
    Photos?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Powak
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Powak said:
    Photos?
    I’ll take some in a little bit before sticking them in the egg.
  • Powak
    Options
    Definitely, probably the wrong use for my new Meater+ but wanted to give it a whirl since I just got it. Says it’ll be done in a half hour, don’t think so Tim but probably not too far off.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Powak said:
    Says it’ll be done in a half hour, don’t think so Tim but probably not too far off.
    Love the reference!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks awesome. I can almost hear the crack of the casing. Beautiful man.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Powak
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks awesome. I can almost hear the crack of the casing. Beautiful man.
    Thank you. Man they’re wicked good little dry because of the low fat content and because I overcooked em on purpose but the Meater without a doubt would’ve had me serving at a perfect temp. Next time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like the look of your sausage.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Pcalvit
    Pcalvit Posts: 1
    Options
    Really new to BGE Forum. What kind of temp meter is that and about what do they cost
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Meater+ is $99.  They have a slightly cheaper version and they have a four probe block that is more expensive.

If you have a cheap/old/extra phone or tablet, the cheaper version would be fine.  If you only have one device with bluetooth and wifi, the Meater+ is handy (extended bluetooth range).

The phone app is pretty good!
    Clinton, Iowa