Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small daisy wheel is loose….

Options
to the to the point that I can’t snuff the fire out. If I flip it upside down, it drops about 1/2”. I can’t tighten the screws, so any suggestions other than ordering a new one?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Snuff it out with the ceramic cap if you have it.  Or line the inside of the wheel with HDAF to create a seal.  Try some penetrating oil to see if you can get the screw to release.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Snuff it out with the ceramic cap if you have it.  Or line the inside of the wheel with HDAF to create a seal.  Try some penetrating oil to see if you can get the screw to release.  
    This ^^. Foil caps work better than you think they would. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Or a Smokeware Cap and their snuffer cap work well. 
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I had issues with the daisy/vent on one of my small eggs. I had to grind the screw a little shorter so it would snug up. Could also add a heavy spring washer or just an extra washer as a spacer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    ^^^ Yup, just an extra washer or two.  
    You say it drops 1/2", though???  Something ain't right there.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Botch said:
    ^^^ Yup, just an extra washer or two.  
    You say it drops 1/2", though???  Something ain't right there.  
    I was having trouble picturing exactly what the issue is with the 1/2” drop.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Deflection 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Apparently Smokeware doesn’t make a small cap…medium to XXL.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Dawgtired said:

You might try heating the cap closely around the screw with small torch, and if its food gunk hold you back it might turn while hot.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Don’t know if they still do, but at one point they had a rubbery gasket adapter for the smaller size. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Don’t know if they still do, but at one point they had a rubbery gasket adapter for the smaller size. 
    Love the Smokeware caps and great people but the Small looks ridiculous sporting the adapter and full size cap.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Dawgtired said:
    Love the Smokeware caps and great people but the Small looks ridiculous sporting the adapter and full size cap.
    Well, I guess if I cared, I would be concerned 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Dawgtired said:
    I like the look.  

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Dawgtired said:
    I like the look.  

I’m happy you like the look. I was hoping with popularity of Mini Max Smokeware might make a run of smaller caps to fit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Dawgtired said:
    I like the look.  

I’m happy you like the look. I was hoping with popularity of Mini Max Smokeware might make a run of smaller caps to fit.
    I think the medium looks the best, minimax 2nd, and XL last.  The portions on the XL remind me of the blueberry girl in Willy Wonka.

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Dawgtired said:
    I like the look.  

I think the medium looks the best, minimax 2nd, and XL last.  The portions on the XL remind me of the blueberry girl in Willy Wonka.

That’s funny!
    I like the square metal tubing you used under your Eggs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Dawgtired said:
    I like the look.  

That’s funny!
    I like the square metal tubing you used under your Eggs.
    A buddy and I welded those up from some square stock I had lying around.  I couldn't figure out what I wanted for risers, then remembered those.  The patina matches my fence, downspouts, and some metal artwork in the yard.  I think it continues the overall theme of the yard (plus, aside from the clear coat they were free.)