Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Direct?

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any of you cooked a meatloaf direct? I was thinking of cooking one on a v-rack if I can get it to hold.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]Sure it will work. I don't think the V rack is the way to go. A dispossable pizza screen or starting it on a square of foil might be a better way to go. More and more folks are cooking things traditionally cooked indirect using the direct method. You just have to rig up some sort of raised grate or use the BGE clip-on grate extender to increase the LTF (lump to food) distance. You also need to keep a small, low temp fire. A bit more food tending is required, turning or re-positioning, but on a 2,3 or 5 hour cook that is no big deal.[p]Things like ribs, pork steaks and even prime rib roasts can be cooked this way.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Deetwood, I cleared my freezer of ground venison and have made several meatloaves in the past week, all indirect at 350°. I kind of used Q-babe's recipe. They were unanimously "the best I've ever tasted!" JCA

• Deetwood,
    i have done several. the first was direct. it burned. the rest have been indirect and turned out great. 350*. good luck. [p]skeetbum

• Michael B
    Options
    Deetwood,
    I'd cook it over a drip pan. All that greese dripping into the coals will give you a nasty taste.