Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Balsamic Vinegar on Steaks

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a couple of fillets on the egg last night, seasoned only with olive oil, fresh ground salt and pepper. Earlier in the day I stumbled across a bottle of D.O.C aceto balsamica tradizionale de Modina aged 12 years. I decided to drizzle a couple of tablespoons of this precious viscous liquid over each steak. OMG, the marriage of flavors was astounding! I've tried it on the usual items; grilled salmon, strawberries, vanilla ice cream, crack between thumb and palm, but never on a steak. I have a new favorite thing![p]Caution. The real D.O.C. balsamic vinegars are very spendy. A 3.5 oz. bottle will cost you north of $100. However, you can get some vinegars at the gourmet stores for around $30 that would be indistinguishable from the consortium stuff when poured on a steak.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Welcome to the party!![p]In my opinion...the best value(hands down) in Balsamics is....[p]agedbalsamic.jpg[p]I've tried many good ones over the years, but this gets you 95% of the way to the $80.00 per oz. experience....
    for a fraction of the price!![p]It's a little tough to find, but with the WWW not a
    problem anymore![p]Here's a couple Hanger steaks... seared, drizzled, and ready for action!![p]HangerSteak6.jpg[p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]You can also take a less pricey balsamic, reduce it down until a drop sits on your fingertip, let cool, then use as a marinade for beef tenderloin. Wow.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Evans - I still have about 1/4 of the bottle of Fattoria Estense (Gran Reserva) Balsamic vinegar that MMAX sent me in November. That stuff is incredible!!! I never appreciated good Balsamic until I tasted this stuff!! I take a swipe off the cork now & then just to taste it..lol... I'm a loser.....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    the pricey stuff is best as you said, on strawberries, and sparingly. i was tasting some straight from the sppon last night. by itself...[p]we use regular old stuff not on the steak itself, but on greens, with shaved parm, then the steak on top.[p]excellant, as you said. i'm almost afraid we are in a rut, because i don't do steaks any other way

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    If anyone's interested, the new Cooks Illustrated magazine has a really good article on Balsamics this month. They also review some of the affordable ones that are readily avaliable.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan