Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SW Missouri Eggfest

Options
https://outdoorhome.com/pages/2022-eggfest-at-outdoor-home

9/24 . . . meet & greet 9/23 for cook teams

been way too long since I attend an Eggfest . . . seriously considering this one

Anyone else considering attending?
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How far away is this fest for you Dan?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    WOW have times ever changed! “Taster” tickets purchased now are $30, but later $35!  

I, along with many older farts, cooked at many eggfests for years and STUPIDLY did it for the fun of it and STUPIDLY paid for our own food, though the eggs and lump were provided by the sponsoring BGE dealers.

BTW where is Nixa, MO? (Other than saying it is in SW MO?) Being a MO boy myself and graduating from UCM in Warrensburg then Nixa is still unfamiliar to me. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    Nixa is located six miles south of Springfield Mo and 30 miles north of Branson, Mo on Highway 160, just four miles west of US Highway 65.  The crossroads of the Ozarks.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    RRP said:
    WOW have times ever changed! “Taster” tickets purchased now are $30, but later $35!  

I, along with many older farts, cooked at many eggfests for years and STUPIDLY did it for the fun of it and STUPIDLY paid for our own food, though the eggs and lump were provided by the sponsoring BGE dealers.

BTW where is Nixa, MO? (Other than saying it is in SW MO?) Being a MO boy myself and graduating from UCM in Warrensburg then Nixa is still unfamiliar to me. 

It used to be just Eggheads cooking. Now they want/expect teams. Dealers have turned this into more of a competitive cooking tournament. In the past it was a friend making, teaching/learning experience between cooks and tasters. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    How far away is this fest for you Dan?
    215 miles or 3 1/2 hr drive
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @RRP
    nixa mo   south of Springfield MO  HTH

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:

It used to be just Eggheads cooking. Now they want/expect teams. Dealers have turned this into more of a competitive cooking tournament. In the past it was a friend making, teaching/learning experience between cooks and tasters. 
    I'm not an ol' timer here as such, and even I miss those times. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:

I'm trying to be as careful as I can be to tiptoe around this corporate supported forum...but just for newbies who don't understand how BGE founder named Ed Fisher became the powerhouse it is today...Those thousands of us over the years participated in these self - supported EGGfests to spread the BGE "GOSPEL"! (Meaning we paid for our own food that we cooked and served to these "tasters" for which THEY never paid jack squat.) Why??? I think we were caught up in those "friendly times"! 

Yes - we did that as we loved the BGE, what it meant to us, and yes, it DID build the value of the brand so that Fisher could sell the company and quietly move into retirement somewhere!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    RRP said:
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:

I'm trying to be as careful as I can be to tiptoe around this corporate supported forum...but just for newbies who don't understand how BGE founder named Ed Fisher became the powerhouse it is today...Those thousands of us over the years participated in these self - supported EGGfests to spread the BGE "GOSPEL"! (Meaning we paid for our own food that we cooked and served to these "tasters" for which THEY never paid jack squat.) Why??? I think we were caught up in those "friendly times"! 

Yes - we did that as we loved the BGE, what it meant to us, and yes, it DID build the value of the brand so that Fisher could sell the company and quietly move into retirement somewhere!
    Translation: eggfests used to be fun social events, now they’re money grabs 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I cook in a fest here and it's a friendly affair. No competition in money just pride in what we cook(competition between cooks for sure) but we do it for fun. Yes we pay for our food and they might pay us from gate admissions, but that's not the point. We love doing it. Not bad though this year, over 1000 at 15 a head pretty sweet

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If they’re charging $35/taster and the cooks are paying their own way and maybe paying to cook to boot, it’s a fvcking money grab. End of story. 
  • RRP
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I cook in a fest here and it's a friendly affair. No competition in money just pride in what we cook(competition between cooks for sure) but we do it for fun. Yes we pay for our food and they might pay us from gate admissions, but that's not the point. We love doing it. Not bad though this year, over 1000 at 15 a head pretty sweet

Cool! So 1,000 x $15 = $15K…pretty impressive! So how much did YOU receive to cover YOUR  food costs?

BTW any idea how much your dealer made selling those used eggs, plus NEW eggs, plus ALL the multiple eggcesserories? After alll…any Eggfest that drew in 1,000 people paying $15 was no mom and pop eggfest which for your information is what sold the BGE to this ceramic cooker to the USA market. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    If they’re charging $35/taster and the cooks are paying their own way and maybe paying to cook to boot, it’s a fvcking money grab. End of story. 
    It’s kind of a tight rope walk. Charging/selling tickets for tasters vs free open to the public. But $35 seems excessive but includes a t-shirt. (That I would have no use for) The last couple Eggfests that I cooked at that were open to public at no charge was a family feeding circus. The events were highly advertised by the dealers as free food event. Dealers had no concerns for the cooks and supplied none of the food or serving supplies. Carloads of people showed up wanting, expecting and complaining about only getting taster samples. Dealers even tried to mandate the minimal amount of samples each cook was to hand out. We have attended a couple Eggfests where the dealers charged tasters and all the money went to local charity. Got rid of the freeloaders and gave money to charity. Much respect to the old days and many of the old dealers who were ran off by new corporate rules.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    https://outdoorhome.com/pages/2022-eggfest-at-outdoor-home

9/24 . . . meet & greet 9/23 for cook teams

been way too long since I attend an Eggfest . . . seriously considering this one

Anyone else considering attending?
    Just ordered a LBGE and made reservations in Bronson!  1st eggfest and 1st time to the Ozarks...excited for both!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    There is a pretty easy way (in my opinion) to handle the money for Eggfests and address concerns of money grabs: be transparent with the budget.  Put up on a website somewhere listing all of the money that comes in (from ticket sales) and detail all expenses.  Of course someone can still fudge things but it’s a lot harder to do that when things can be checked independently.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    nealmgb said:
    Nixa is located six miles south of Springfield Mo and 30 miles north of Branson, Mo on Highway 160, just four miles west of US Highway 65.  The crossroads of the Ozarks.

Nixa, home of Jason Bourne
  • MasterC
    Options
    RRP said:
    MasterC said:

Cool! So 1,000 x $15 = $15K…pretty impressive! So how much did YOU receive to cover YOUR  food costs?

BTW any idea how much your dealer made selling those used eggs, plus NEW eggs, plus ALL the multiple eggcesserories? After alll…any Eggfest that drew in 1,000 people paying $15 was no mom and pop eggfest which for your information is what sold the BGE to this ceramic cooker to the USA market. 

$250 more than I expected. I knew going in that it will cost me money and I'm cool with that. I do this for the camaraderie with Eggheads I've known for years and the new ones I meet each year. 
    And I do admit when someone you don't know says "that's the best thing I've tried" it makes my day
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RRP
    Options
    MasterC said:
    RRP said:
    MasterC said:

$250 more than I expected. I knew going in that it will cost me money and I'm cool with that. I do this for the camaraderie with Eggheads I've known for years and the new ones I meet each year. 
    And I do admit when someone you don't know says "that's the best thing I've tried" it makes my day
    Please excuse me…but you are saying the food you fixed and served for the camaraderie cost you $250 MORE than you even expected? Or did you mean that some Eggfest you cooked at in Indiana reimbursed you $250?

There just seems to be some echo or overlap here…
  • MasterC
    Options
    I was given 250 dollars at the end of the day to reimburse me. I was not expecting that
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • RRP
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I was given 250 dollars at the end of the day to reimburse me. I was not expecting that
    COOL! No Eggfests that I cooked at for 14 years EVER did that! Maybe a free bag of cheap lump and a verbal "thank you" is all any of us received!