Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Controllers for XL

What is is considered the best Temp Controller?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 10,996
    Welcome! You'll get a million different answers. 

Three popular ones are the Flameboss 500, Smobot, and the Digiq
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    There are many recent posts about controllers.
    I like the Flameboss 500 and use it on my XL, Large and Small Eggs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777
    I use the vents on the top and bottom of the XL.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    I have a digiq and it works ok.  I honestly don't use it a whole lot.  I think it heats up and uses lump better for a regular cook but not enough for me to use it.  Low and slow I can dial in just fine so even doing some ribs yesterday I skipped it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I've been a Flame Boss user and dealer ever since they started out 8 yrs ago......great company to deal with, great products, and the 500 is the best I've ever used (and I've been a dealer for most of the brands.)
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,034
    Former Digi Q user and converted to Smobot user.....no comparison.  I am not very biased to the Smobot due to its simplicity in design not to mention stellar customer service.  If I still had my DigiQ I would give it to you and wish you the best of luck getting hold of customer service.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • UncleKeith
    UncleKeith Posts: 39
    Another SMOBOT vote here, caveate; it’s the only one I have ever used. It works so well I have never felt the need to try another.

I like it because it simply controls the temp by controlling the air flow not fanning the flames or starving them. I’m sure there are others that work well but I found one that works for me and see no reason to look further.

Good luck regardless of the one you choose
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 674
    Thermoworks smoke X4 with billows. 

Works great. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
  • BigBuford
    BigBuford Posts: 78
    Looks like the Flame Boss 500 is the winner