Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who still makes a good heavy duty stainless XL cooking grate?

Options
Very long-time reader, first time poster.  

What is the best source that is still in business to find a heavy duty stainless steel grate for an XL BGE?  

I have a very nice Hi-que stainless grate with 3/8 inch rods for the large, and I'd like to find something comparable for the XL.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I missed your last paragraph about 3/8. I have a Large BGE High-Que 304 SS 3/8" grate but I'm not seeing it available on their site anymore. It weighs 14lbs. I was able to pick it up second hand but I want to say it was around $150 before shipping. I don't think they moved too many with the cost. I don't think they were ever offered for a XL. I'd imagine it would be $225-250 nowadays in material and probably even more for an XL. It's a tough sell. I'm sure you could get one custom made at a local fabrication shop if you were to call around. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I’m with @WeberWho

My XL BGE stainless cooking grid is good enough and heavy enough.
    I would not want the extra weight.
    You might want to look at the high dollar Kamado Company and see if any of their sizes match up to your XL. I have a couple thicker cooking grids for my smaller Eggs but never wanted one for my XL. But I’m sure it would look pretty in photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas