Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Happy Father’s Day

Options
GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,304
edited June 2022 in EggHead Forum
Fathers and good male role models can take all sorts of forms - not all wisdom is delivered by one’s biological parents. Thank you to all those out there who have guided younger generations. As Marcus Aurelias stresses, there is great importance in having “good masters at home.” I am thankful for my father, my father-in-law and to all older role models who have been generous in the lessons that they’ve taught and continue to teach me. 

Enjoy the day. 

Comments

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    "Fathers and good male role models can take all sorts of forms"

My father was a great provider. He provided me with all the hands on lessons I needed, on how not to be a parent. My kids benefitted greatly from those lessons, as they were never beaten, teased excessively, tickled in weird places, screamed at constantly or abandoned. They also were never beat about the head on the kitchen floor, on the morning of Thanksgiving, a mere three feet from a perfectly roasted turkey, and then made to sit with the family while they ate said turkey, while you were balling your eyes out, and wondering what's lumpier, your head pr the mashed potatoes.

Role models do take all form I guess. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    "Fathers and good male role models can take all sorts of forms"

My father was a great provider. He provided me with all the hands on lessons I needed, on how not to be a parent. My kids benefitted greatly from those lessons, as they were never beaten, teased excessively, tickled in weird places, screamed at constantly or abandoned. They also were never beat about the head on the kitchen floor, on the morning of Thanksgiving, a mere three feet from a perfectly roasted turkey, and then made to sit with the family while they ate said turkey, while you were balling your eyes out, and wondering what's lumpier, your head pr the mashed potatoes.

Role models do take all form I guess. 

Thanks for sharing this cherished family memory. 

Did your family roll the BGE up to the table indoors for Thanksgiving, as is standard practice, as I now understand it?
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    We didn't have a BGE back then. If we did I'm pretty sure it would have been used to hide instruments of torture, unless it looked like a women, any woman at all, (except my mom, apparently) then it'd be chased around the property until she got too tired to fight him off. Then they'd disappear together for maybe a week or 
    two until the next women's egg came around and it'd start all over again. 

Good times indeed..
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    My dad taught me to hunt & fish, among a ton of other skills.  When I had a son, I taught him how to hunt , fish, and golf.  
    He is now a successful attorney that lives several hours away, but on Father’s Day he always reminds me of our hunting & fishing trips, and the golf tournaments we played in (father-son).   To me, it was a day with my best little buddy, but to him it was a lifelong memory. 
    Happy Fathers Day to all you dads out there!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fathers and good male role models can take all sorts of forms - not all wisdom is delivered by one’s biological parents. Thank you to all those out there who have guided younger generations. As Marcus Aurelias stresses, there is great importance in having “good masters at home.” I am thankful for my father, my father-in-law and to all older role models who have been generous in the lessons that they’ve taught and continue to teach me. 

Enjoy the day. 
    Hear hear!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.