Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walleye fillets

Options
I have a question for the group.  My wife works for a caterer and they have a large event this weekend.  A request came in for grilled walleye and then oddly my name was brought up to help with it.  They must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to ask me for help.   

I'm accustomed to working with thicker fillets (and generally skin on) than walleye generally is so I'm concerned with it sticking to the grate.  Would you use a grill mat or clean the grates and oil the fillets a bit?

Thanks in advance.  

Glencoe, Minnesota

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I would grab some alder planks, soak them a couple hours, and grill/smoke the walleye on them.  Its a PNW specialty, probably not common in Oof-Dah Country, but you might start a new trend!  (hopefully replacing lutefisk).  
    Mmmm, walleye!  I'm getting homesick now.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Planks are my thought too, just don’t know how many your cooking for.  I use planks when grilling crappie.  That works great for my family just don’t know they would work for a larger group.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm not a fan of planks unless you are really going for smoke.  I'd get something like this:

NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Walleye is my favorite fresh water fish.
    I wish you luck. It’s a very delicate white fish. It’s great blackened or deep fried. But as mentioned above, tough to give quality advice not knowing how many you are cooking for.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions!  This is why I come here.  I'll let you know what comes of this 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I would "grill" them in my lodge cast iron on the egg, with an inch of bacon grease in the pan and the filets coated in "shore lunch".  DANG!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I would "grill" them in my lodge cast iron on the egg, with an inch of bacon grease in the pan and the filets coated in "shore lunch".  DANG!
    Right?  These guys should know better than to ask for grilled fish.  We fry what we catch here!  :D  
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i would fry them, but you could grill them on lemon slices. make a sauce with lemon juice as one of the ingredients, plenty of white sauce recipes with big flavor out there. the other option would be foil packets, kinda think that would count in any place north as grilling and maybe easier to prep and cook. would still make a sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    season them on both sides, toss them in a cast iron pan with a little added fat to prevent sticking, this will blacken the seasoning  then transfer to a grill mat or oven to finish them off.  They are very delicate and flaky.  hit with a dash of lemon juice before serving.   
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Grilling will ruin them. Roast (bake) them on foil indirect with a couple chunks of apple for flavor. Lightly butter the foil first and season the fish. Place on foil skin side down. Roast until flaky. Brush with melted butter lemon and serve. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    We used to have big fish fries, and always breaded the filets in bread crumbs and dropped in a hot oil fryer till golden brown. They were “awesome”, moist & flaky.  
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Great job, and experience.  Cedar from ace hardware?
    Columbus, Ohio
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I just got back - it's done.  This was for a country music event   One of the bands made this special request.  The caterers chose planked walleye as the method.  At the last moment I couldn't locate anything but cedar but a few technical hurdles aside, they seemed to turn out.

I used DP Raging River, a couple pats of butter and lemon slices on them.  As soon as I took them off they got packed up in foil containers and loaded on a bus for the band to eat on the road so no feedback.  Regardless I am not a fan of country music so I was happy to wrap things up and leave. 😂

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Nice work.  I think I have a similar grill! Can't keep the heat in.  😉
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I just got back - it's done.  This was for a country music event   One of the bands made this special request.  The caterers chose planked walleye as the method.  At the last moment I couldn't locate anything but cedar but a few technical hurdles aside, they seemed to turn out.

I used DP Raging River, a couple pats of butter and lemon slices on them.  As soon as I took them off they got packed up in foil containers and loaded on a bus for the band to eat on the road so no feedback.  Regardless I am not a fan of country music so I was happy to wrap things up and leave. 😂

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Nice work.  I think I have a similar grill! Can't keep the heat in.  😉
    I used hotel pan covers for that very reason.  They were done much quicker than I anticipated.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice looking fishies right there!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    @sheetmetalpete Winstock?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Yes sir.  And I don't like country music. 😂
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Yes sir.  And I don't like country music. 😂
    Lucky for you there wasn't any county music!

Sorry I couldn't resist. 

I can't stand today's pop country. So I'll partially agree with you!  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    That looks like a fun cook. I have 4 cedar planks that have sat in my garage for several years. I need to use them