Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tiny pork shoulder is killing me today!

acolle
acolle Posts: 133
I dropped a little one ( 3.5lbs ) on @ 9AM for dinner tonight. Have maintained 235º at the grate all day. Stalled just under 170º forever ago. Wrapped in butcher paper @ 165º (internal temp) like 6 hours into the cook. Just got up to 172º in hour 7. I know it'll be done when it is done, but this little sucker seems to be taking forever!!! Send me some good vibes. I'm almost ready to give up and eat all the sides only for dinner... LOL.
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    By now that tiny butt is probably pork jerky! My guess is your dome thermometer is way off! Enjoy your sides! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • acolle
    RRP said:
    By now that tiny butt is probably pork jerky! My guess is your dome thermometer is way off! Enjoy your sides! 
    Using a grid thermo and an internal probe. Seems like the temps are both consistent?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    By now it should have picked up sufficient smoke, finish it in oven at 300?
    canuckland
  • acolle
    By now it should have picked up sufficient smoke, finish it in oven at 300?
    We just increased the temp in the egg to 300º I don't think it is jerky like RRP said. Nothing internal in the meat has exceeded 180º yet. Grate temp has been 235-240º entire time. Slow and low for sure here...

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Pork butts or brisket, don’t be afraid to bump the temps and push it through the stall if time is running short. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    I have found that the smaller cuts punch above their weight class when calculating weight and time/ lb.  Not surprising.  But go with the feel and your challenged patience will be rewarded.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Your temp is too low. Try 250 at least and preferably more like 275.
    Mountain View, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    ???????... care to add an epilogue?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I had a small one go really long earlier this year.  Just one of those things that with all the variables it keeps us coming back to figure out the perfect setup and technique. That's the fun of an unobtainable dream that's gets squashed after following up a perfectly done cook with a flop.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    Turn up the heat after the wrap, it’ll push past the stall no problem. Pork butt around 275-300.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    the 2 hour rule per pound only works for 7 pound butts.....anything else and you are on your own.  i still raise the temps towards the end
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it