Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Broke Down & Got a Flameboss 500

Options
Ever since my old Digi-Q took a dump last summer, I’ve been doing cooks the old fashioned way because I didn’t wanna spent $350 on the Flameboss 500. I finally broke down and bought and lemme tell ya….I love this thing!
It took me a bit to set it up; mainly because I tried to do it without downloading and following the directions. 
Now it’s back to cooking with the “set it and forget it” approach. If you’re debating about getting a 500, do it! You won’t be sorry!!!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Thanks for the push. I found a Flameboss 500 on Marketplace a few days ago that was a good price but I was still on the fence about purchasing it. I made an offer this morning after seeing your post and the seller accepted. Now to see if it actually ships and that it was from a real seller. I did purchase through PayPal so I do feel a little better about that. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Stlcharcoal made me an offer I can'r refuse on the FB 500, used it once and  it pushed the temp 20º higher than target temp.  Some wise soul on here suggested to set that lower at first and adjust from there.
    HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Majikmike22
    Options
    Cooked on my flame-boss today and temp was set for 275. It pushed the temp to 350 so I dropped it down to 250.  After 30 min or so it stabilized at 275 on my dome temp gauge but the flame-boss was reading 250. 2 hours into a brisket cook it settles in at 275. Be very careful when using it. I agree shoot for a lower temp at first.
  • FatEgger
    FatEgger Posts: 7
    Options
    I keep the grate at gasket level and so far, I’ve found the FB to read a tad higher than the dime temp gauge on the Egg. I also make 100% sure the alligator clip is at least 2-3” away from the meat AND not directly over one of the open areas of the plate setter. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Stlcharcoal made me an offer I can'r refuse on the FB 500, used it once and  it pushed the temp 20º higher than target temp.  Some wise soul on here suggested to set that lower at first and adjust from there.
    HTH
    Make sure the vents aren't set to run higher than setpoint.  The fan doesn't run backwards to keep less than the natural amount of air flowing through it.  You want it pretty choked back, ideally at the lowest vent settings where you can maintain temp (200F or so, depending on size of egg).   Let the fan give it air to boost the temp past that to your setpoint.

Options
    loco_engr said:
    HTH
    Make sure the vents aren't set to run higher than setpoint.  The fan doesn't run backwards to keep less than the natural amount of air flowing through it.  You want it pretty choked back, ideally at the lowest vent settings where you can maintain temp (200F or so, depending on size of egg).   Let the fan give it air to boost the temp past that to your setpoint.

Yes, I use it just like I did the DigiQ, basically. The DFMT vents are only open a slither and I let the fan do its thing to maintain the desired temp.