Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - ThermoWorks IR Gun 50% off today only

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,209
    Options
    This is a great deal!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 908
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Just ordered one.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Very fast delivery and a nice looking unit. But anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees off from my other IR thermometers. 
    Too bad -- if I only had one, I'd know exactly what temperature I was looking at, but this way I'm never sure!  :/
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,209
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Very fast delivery and a nice looking unit. But anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees off from my other IR thermometers. 
    Too bad -- if I only had one, I'd know exactly what temperature I was looking at, but this way I'm never sure!  :/
    That is a bummer!  Can you check the emissivity setting on them?  Also, what is the spread on the sensor?  Some IR guns have a very narrow beam and measurement region, others have a wider beam and average temp over that area.  Think measuring temp over area of a pencil erasure vs. a quarter.  On high temp surfaces that is enough to get the variation.

Emissivity settings also will change the reading by 5 deg easy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. Adjusting the emissivity, it's only about two degrees off, so that's fine.