Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Pork Butt @ 210 Degrees

Options
I have a 9lb pork butt prepped and ready for the Egg.  Time is on my side as of now.  Going to try smoking it at 210 degrees.  I'll be using the Thermoworks Signals to control temps.  Will be using a water pan approx. 1/2 full of water.  Three apple chunks are in play as well.  Anyone else gone down this road?  Results?  Any tips/suggestions?
Large BGE
Medium BGE
Thermoworks Billows/Signals, Thermapen One, Thermapen MK4
Large Adjustable Rig Combo
Bismarck, ND 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    I’d ditch the water pan for sure.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,670
    Options
    Nice, I hope time on your side is like 24hrs
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• flatbedr
    flatbedr Posts: 10
    Options
    shtgunal3....I'm on the fence with this portion as well.  Just never done it before and really have no logical reason to try other then..to try.  Why would you ditch the water pan?

Large BGE
    Medium BGE
    Bismarck, ND 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Ditch the water pan, you don’t need the extra moisture on the BGE.  You’ll just slow the cook down.  Keep a pan in there, propped up on small foil balls, to catch the drippings.

Increase dome temp to at least 225.  210 is too low given where pork butts usually finish.  You’ll be waiting a long time at that dome temp.  Plus, pork butt is so forgiving on the BGE, and it will have picked up almost all of its smoke by the time its internal temp is around 165 anyway. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    In my opinion it is not needed in the egg and especially with a fatty pork butt. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Pork butts are pretty easy on the BGE, as others have said, I would just go with a drip pan and no water. I’ve found it hard to hold temps below 250, at 250 I can pretty much set and forget (no electric control). Lately, I’ve been using the turbo butt method and they turn out really good. I also tend to run them until the IT is 205 or so depending on the butt. Have fun, grab a beer, and relax. Oh and post some finished pictures.
    LBGE
    AL
  • flatbedr
    flatbedr Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank You all for the input thus far!!

I've smoked many butts @ 225 with satisfactory results. Will abandon the 210 thought and stick with 225.  

I can go one of 3 ways once stall temp is reached...1) Wrap in foil. 2) Wrap in butcher paper. 3) No wrap at all.  I've always went with option 3.  Advantages with wrapping with each method?
    Large BGE
    Medium BGE
    Bismarck, ND 

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    No wrap, and run that dome temp to 325. You won’t know the difference between a turbo butt and a 225 butt except you’ll have a lot of hours of your life not wasted.  Trust me , there is no reason to use a water pan or do anything but a turbo butt on the BGE.  

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• shtgunal3
    Options
    I spritz with a 50/50 mix of apple juice & apple cider vinegar every hour or whenever I remember. Once it hits the stall I wrap in foil with some of this same mix and pull at 200-205. Wrap in towels and put in a cooler until we are ready to eat. There are many different ways to smoke a butt. This is how I do it.

• Bodis
    Bodis Posts: 7
    Options
    I almost always use a drip pan with water. When the cook is done I put the liquid in a de-fatter and add this fantastic stuff to the meat after I pull it. Do others do this?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    No wrap, and run that dome temp to 325. You won’t know the difference between a turbo butt and a 225 butt except you’ll have a lot of hours of your life not wasted.  Trust me , there is no reason to use a water pan or do anything but a turbo butt on the BGE.  
    YukonRon’s Peach preserve glazed is one reason to not do turbo. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YukonRon’s Peach preserve glazed is one reason to not do turbo. 
    There’s plenty of reasons.  More smoke, better bark, more time for adult beverages, and etc.  This kind of thing is a bit of a matter of preference.  It’s worth trying different ways just to find out what works for you, and what doesn’t. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Last time I did turbo I ran out of coals.  In general, I favor starting at 275 and bumping up to 300 later in the cook.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    I think (which means -273°C) that @JohnInCarolina last sentence above is a pretty salient point.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Nice, I hope time on your side is like 24hrs
    lol.

Alaskan is right though ... rather push it up to 275F if you are aiming for a 205F internal.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    I did mine at 275 with the conveggtor, no water pan. Eggs keep moisture in. I have a spritz of apple juice here and there. Took about 6 hours for 7 pounder. I monitored pork temp and grill temp with a ThermoPro
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @flatbedr How’d it go?

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
     In general, I favor starting at 275 and bumping up to 300 later in the cook.  
    This how I go about any bbq cook with my XL. It just loves to cruise at these temps. If it goes 325, well ok 
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    I do overnight pork butt with the billows set to 220F grate. I get a good night sleep and the butt is done for lunch.

No water pan. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22