Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland braided "Grapho-Glas" gasket for large BGE?

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    jjdbike said:
    jjdbike said:
    lkapigian said:
    @jjdbike My gaskets are shot, If I need it tighter, I just lay some foil ( heavy duty and doubled up )over the gasket, it makes a great sealand will get you by .....deal with your gasket when you have time 
    Thanks Ikapigian.
    Someone mentioned that previously, perhaps it was you. I would have never thought of that or that this would work.l at all, let alone works well.
    Knowing that this does in fact does work well, is very reassuring and anxiety reducing. 
    I was actually considering taking Friday off to deal with the gaskets & also trimming, injecting etc…
    Beast regards,
    JD

it works fine, just looks a little crude. pretty much all smokers leak smoke and with an egg holding 250 it can leak alot and be stable. use the bottom vent for most of the control and if windy you may want to turn the lower vent out of the wind or lean something infront of it to slow the wind down. if the gasket is still on it, it wears first in the back, you can loosen the upper band and push the dome down while retightening it. you want the egg stabile for an hour or so, put the meat in and close your eyes for 4 or more hours before making any minor adjustment. the ocd in people make them touch those vents. if you are trying for 250, just be happy with temps between 230 and 280, you can speed things up much later in the cook or slow them down. with a brisket plan on getting it out of the egg early, like 6 hours early, thats what the cooler is for. if its not ready 6 hours early, you raise the temps, foil if you have too

Thanks fishless! Love the screen name.

I saw that trick, i.e., loosening, pushing & retightening done. I’ll try that tonight.

Yup, not messing w/ it too much is an OCD challenge.

I’m shooting for a 6 hours in cooler. Dinner’s at 6:00 pm Saturday. I’m on putting brisket on cooker at 12:00 midnight Friday. That’ll allow 12 hours to cook & 6 to rest.

Thanks brother,
    JD

close enough works with this cooker. i did not even have a dome therm for about a 4 to 5 year period. it didnt make much difference. i just went with how hot the dome temp felt like. get used to touching the dome during low and slows, eventually you will know if its out of calibration, broken etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    Here is my freshly installed gasket from @RRP. Very pleased with it 
    Looks good, RRP’s service is so good the man deserves a tip $……….

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??