Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Table Nest Stability

Options

Hi all!

How stable is the XL when placed in the table nest? I see that the table nest is not recommended for free standing application unless the egg is housed in a built in surround. I have an XL on the way and it will be incorporated into a table but I'd like to keep it open in the front so I can get the egg in/out more easily. To be clear, the table will surround the the egg on the other three sides. Does anyone see an issue with putting the XL on the table nest without being fully surrounded?

Thanks for the help :)

Best Answers

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have my XL in a nest, sitting within the BGE Acacia table. I'd say it's pretty stable, it's really, really hard to move, especially because of the rubber feet.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The XL has a larger base to height ratio than the smaller sizes and is more stable against tipping.
    I would not hesitate to leave the front open. You could always rig a safety line to stop it from falling forward. Buy you would need to really pull hard foreword to pull it over.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi all!

How stable is the XL when placed in the table nest? I see that the table nest is not recommended for free standing application unless the egg is housed in a built in surround. I have an XL on the way and it will be incorporated into a table but I'd like to keep it open in the front so I can get the egg in/out more easily. To be clear, the table will surround the the egg on the other three sides. Does anyone see an issue with putting the XL on the table nest without being fully surrounded?

Thanks for the help :)

My XL is quite stable just resting on top of a base with NO physical attachments or restraints. I have it mounted (gravity only ) on top of a truncated concrete cone (used the right sized flower pot as the form with rebar). The concrete table top surrounds the Egg for about 220 degrees, but does not touch at all. There is roughly a 1 inch gap between the table top and the Egg, allowing the use of a fabric cover.

This set up survived 150+ mph winds for about 8 hours as well as other tropical storms and minor hurricanes. We also routinely have (minor) seismic events in the 4+ range. Steady as a rock. I am attaching some pics fyi.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

Answers