Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicey Question!!

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some guidance on storing spices for later use.As was discussed awhile back spices are much cheaper when bought in bulk,but how do you save flavor long term?16 oz. cumin cost about same as .28 oz. in grocery store but will be enough for 3 tons of JJ's rub.I have planned to vaccuum pack excess and store in freezer,but don't know if freezing would be best in all cases.Any and all comments and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bob

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Bamabob,[p] Try this link. from www.penzeys.com.[p]MikeO
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Bamabob,
    I`ve only stumbled across one tip..and that was to store spices in a dark place..sorry I cant be of more help but I also will be looking forward to some tips from others on proper storage..great question[p]
    4 days 22 hours.....
    Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    MikeO,
    Thanks...short and sweet..easy reading[p]Wess

• SpiceCooks
    Options
    Bamabob,
    As you can see by our name, spices are our favorite thing. I buy all of our spices from Penzey's and have been buying from them for about 10 years now. We store our spices in glass mason jars. We keep them in a cabinet (or cupboard depending on where you are from.) The cabinet is deicated to nothing but spices.I have never had to throw away anything and some of them have been around for maybe a year. They still have their flavor and their smell. Someone mentioned sometime ago about keeping them in a freezer. That would work I suppose but I have a tendency to be too lazy to make the trip to the freezer if I forget something. Having the spices next to me in the kitchen is what works for me. Sorry for the long answer but these are just some of my thoughts.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bamabob,[p]We also store our spices in glass mason jars. We vacuum the jar to seal it (FoodSaver attachment). They are kept in the basement where the temperature is cooler and no direct sunlight is available. No problems in the last 5 years.[p]Spin