Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGGspander Multi-Level Rack

Options
Studying this addition for our large BGE.  Interested in your feedback if you have insights on it.  We are increasingly using our egg and this may provide some additional flexibility, if it is not too busy or inconvenient to use.
Thank you,
Al

Comments

• iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    I have had it for a couple of months and must say the usage has been quite limited. 

However, when making ribs for example, they do add just the right amount of space to feed 6 instead of 4.

I also bought it to up my pizza game and make two at the same time (small for the kids, regular for us). This of course requires further investment in a second, smaller pizza stone. This stone is still on my 'to buy' list, but I really see the multi-level rack as a good part of your set-up IF you can envision a use for it as I did.

In itself, it remains a pricey piece of equipment.
    I for one cannot imagine using it by turning it over and grilling right over the charcoal. Would do caveman instead and thus have always found this a sales pitch/gimmick from BGE to justify having it.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I have the Eggspander for my XL and like it.  For my large Egg I have the Ceramic Grill Store PsWoo with additional rack.  If you have a conveggtor/plate setter I would recommend the PSwoo.  Both the PsWoo and the Eggspander give you the ability to raise the grid to the felt line, which is even more valuable than the additional rack.  You’ll wonder how you lived without it.  Also makes it easier to add and remove the conveggtor.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • iudex
    Options
    I have the Eggspander for my XL and like it.  For my large Egg I have the Ceramic Grill Store PsWoo with additional rack.  If you have a conveggtor/plate setter I would recommend the PSwoo.  Both the PsWoo and the Eggspander give you the ability to raise the grid to the felt line, which is even more valuable than the additional rack.  You’ll wonder how you lived without it.  Also makes it easier to add and remove the conveggtor.  
    The question here is if we are talking about the conveggtor basket and multi level or only the multi level, I think.

Conveggtor basket is a must (PSwoo not available in Europe, so not much choice here), the other is debatable imo.

I got the conveggtor basket from the start and still do only a small part of my actual grilling at felt level. Could anyone enlighten me where a raised grid would be benifical (without hijacking the thread)?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I got the conveggtor basket from the start and still do only a small part of my actual grilling at felt level. Could anyone enlighten me where a raised grid would be beneficial (without hijacking the thread)?
    I’m opposite in my method. I only cook lower, fire ring level, when I want to sear or char something. Everything else is done felt level or higher. I get more even temps across my cooking grid, radiant heat bouncing back from dome and it’s just easier to see, check, and flip food when it’s not recessed into the base. Definitely no right or wrong, just personal preference.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I got the conveggtor basket from the start and still do only a small part of my actual grilling at felt level. Could anyone enlighten me where a raised grid would be beneficial (without hijacking the thread)?
    I’m opposite in my method. I only cook lower, fire ring level, when I want to sear or char something. Everything else is done felt level or higher. I get more even temps across my cooking grid, radiant heat bouncing back from dome and it’s just easier to see, check, and flip food when it’s not recessed into the base. Definitely no right or wrong, just personal preference.
    This 100 percent,  
    Memphis  
  • iudex
    Options
    That makes sense, thanks.

I usually grill in the 450F (230C) range, it goes noticeably slower to get the small foods done at the felt line. It does give a lot more control.

Guess I will have to experiment some B)
  • Old_Gramps
    Options
    I too am looking for more real estate in my BGE. I'm looking at both the CGS Large Adjustable Rig with the oval stone and grate vs the Eggexpander kit.  I'm curious to get thoughts on both or either one. They are both pretty pricey with CGS being a little higher than the BGE. 

Thanks for your feedback.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I too am looking for more real estate in my BGE. I'm looking at both the CGS Large Adjustable Rig with the oval stone and grate vs the Eggexpander kit.  I'm curious to get thoughts on both or either one. They are both pretty pricey with CGS being a little higher than the BGE. 

Thanks for your feedback.
    I have the CGS with the oval stone and it's a great accessory.  Nothing you couldn't Macgyver with a little ingenuity, but it's convenient and worth it if you frequently cook indirect.  Or in some cases, direct, I suppose.

edited January 2022
    Options
    Both are great.
    Memphis  
  • Old_Gramps
    Options
    Thanks for the input. 
  • builderdawg
    Options
    mancoIII said:
    Studying this addition for our large BGE.  Interested in your feedback if you have insights on it.  We are increasingly using our egg and this may provide some additional flexibility, if it is not too busy or inconvenient to use.
    Thank you,
    Al
    I've had the Eggspander for several years and I like it.  Honestly, I pretty much use it exclusively, but I don't always use all tiers.  It is pretty easy to change out components for the needs of your specific cook.  
  • builderdawg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Agree, it is definitely easier to cook at felt level.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Edit: @Old_Gramps Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun!
    I use CGS products in both my L&S BGEs.  CGS was the innovator of the tiered apparatus/systems you find now copied across the kamado cooking  manufacturers.  BGE and others started "borrowing" the designs several years ago. FWIW-
    Give CGS a call and let them know  how you think you will use the system.  You will get straight info and no sales pitch for more.  Number here: Phone(940) 387-0100.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Get the CGS rig......made in the US, with US steel, by a company that holds the patent for it.  Not the overpriced Chinese knock off in the green box.
  • Old_Gramps
    Options
    Thanks again. I'll give CGS a call and visit with them. I would like to make a run to Denton. How is CGS on getting their products out? 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Thanks again. I'll give CGS a call and visit with them. I would like to make a run to Denton. How is CGS on getting their products out? 
    If you're within an hour or two, run over there and check out all the options first hand.  Their are so many combo's it's hard to understand all the possibilities.  Great shop, and they make them right in the back of the store.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was curious about what patents CGS has.  Looks like the original PS/woo and all the kick-ash pans.  The eggnitor is pending (but probably a BGE item). 

Patents are a big deal.  They are very expensive and hard to secure. 

I'm not sure that eggnitor patent will fly but we will see.